Saturday, May 25, 2013

Brad's 7 Day Raw Challenge - Day 6: Raw Samosas = flavor bomb in your mouth!



Here’s to Day 6!

Another unexciting day, but not quite as boring as yesterday…*thank goodness*

I woke up shockingly hungry. I guess my jar of nut butter wasn’t enough after all. So I went straight for my planned breakfast….a bowl of large cherry tomatoes from the farmer’s market. I smothered them in a light drizzle of olive oil from Italy (my parents brought it back from their trip and I love the unique taste!) and a sprinkle of garlic salt. Oh so good and satisfying!


After breakfast we headed to the farmer’s market where I found this giant thing! It’s a burlap cucumber and it’s huge! I cannot wait to cut it open and discover it’s unique taste and texture. Supposedly it’s crisper than regular cukes. 

Second stop: the theater, yes again. This time I brought with me a Thunderbird Energetica raw bar in Sweet Lemon. It was all I needed to satisfy my hunger until I was able to get home and test a new recipe for raw samosas from the raw chef, Russell James.

Home bound…finally! After my workout I got to work on my samosas. Unfortunately, I am currently unable to use my dehydrator due to the limited and confined space in this apartment and therefore, was unable to make the samosa wraps. As an alternative, I used my favorite raw wrapper: collards! The collards were a PIA to work with. I was able to create two before I finally gave up and turned to the beautiful romaine lettuce leaf to hold the remainder of my samosa stuffing.

I had never had samosas before so it was important to me that I followed the recipe to the T. The taste of the filling was outstanding, loaded with complex flavors! Fresh, earthy, warm and spicy…it was hard to miss the “cooking” that is normally involved in making samosas. The Raita sauce was the absolute perfect complement to the spicy filling. It was really creamy, sweet, cool and a bit savory. Together they create this well rounded, balanced flavor party in your mouth. I definitely plan on making this again, maybe in salad form. I’m thinking massaged kale, samosa filling and a drizzle of raita sauce. Mmmm Mmm!

Raw Samosas with Cucumber Mint Raita Sauce

Modified to serve 1 = 4 collard samosas or 3 filled romaine leaves

Wrap:
  • 1-2 large collard leaves, washed and cut in half

Filling:
  • ¼ cup zucchini, peeled
  • ¾ Tbsp of water (I didn’t use)
  • ¼ cup sunflower seeds
  • ¼ tsp miso
  • ¾ tsp of lemon juice
  • ¼ tsp of garlic, mashed
  • ½ tsp of ginger, grated
  • 1 ½ tsp of garam masala
  • Pinch of turmeric
  • 2 sun-dried tomatoes, soaked for an hour
  • Pinch of salt
  1. Grind all ingredients in a food processor, leaving some texture to the mix.
  2. Add the following ingredients and pulse in:
  • Small palm full of spinach, shopped
  • ½ spring onion, sliced
  • 1 Tbsp of diced tomatoes
  • 1 Tbsp of chopped cilantro
  • 2 Tbsp of fresh shelled peas

To Assemble:

I attempted to follow the Raw Chef’s instructions as provided here using my collard leaves as opposed to the raw wraps. I couldn’t honestly tell you how I did it because I pretty much tucked and folded here and there until it well, just worked. 

If you make these, please let me know if you find a step by step method that works!

If using romaine lettuce, simply fill those babies with the filling.


Cucumber Mint Raita:
  • 2 Tbsp of cashews, grind into a powder
  • ½ cup of cucumber (I only used a ¼..oops)
  • ½ teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
  • ¼ tsp of salt
  • 2 Tbsp of mint
  • ¼ tsp of garlic, mashed
  • ½ teaspoon lime juice
  • Pinch of cayenne
    1. Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender.
    2. Serve with samosas or drizzle over filled lettuce cups.

For a late night snack, my family wanted to go to Tutti Frutti, a frozen yogurt shop so instead of frozen soy yogurt I went for a cup of fresh fruit topped with coconut and almonds.

I can’t believe it! We have one more day left and that’s tomorrow! I also have a playdate to take my daughter to at a park. What to bring!? I don’t know but we’ll see! 

As for the raw chocolate, the recipe is still being worked on. My first batch was eh...

I hope everyone is have a rawking holiday weekend!

* Beth *

No comments:

Post a Comment