Saturday, January 25, 2014

Brad's 7 Day Raw Challenge: January 2014 - EAT. Even when you're not hungry!



Well, I finally took my “flu shot” last night and sure enough, my throat feels better. Go figure. I’m not exactly sure WHY I decided to wait THREE days to finally take one knowing that it would help. I guess that’s the stubborn person in me. I plan on whipping up one more shot before bed to ensure that the sore throat is completely gone. Lesson learned.

The rest of the day was busy and to be honest a bit crappy. I woke up this morning with terrible pains from the start of my, ahem, “monthly” (sorry boys).  I am blessed to say that throughout the years as I changed my diet and ditched the BC, mother nature’s visit has become quite regular and the pains only exist for the first day. After that, it’s a breeze. But like I said, the first day sucks!

Along with the pain also comes a low appetite…or none at all. This morning I woke up, had a warm lemon teas, and got right to cleaning the house as I attempted to keep my mind off the cramps. Food did not sound appealing at all. It wasn’t until way after lunch that I finally munched on a handful of these addictive Zesty Onion Rawmonds. They are definitely zesty, cheesy and loaded with yummy onion flavor. Graw Foods also sells a BBQ flavor that is even more mouthwatering! It took all my will power to put the bag down so we could finally grab a real lunch. I clearly needed fuel.


It’s Saturday which means we have little to no food in the house. So I took my husband and daughter out to our favorite diner. After all those almonds I wasn’t in the mood to eat but I knew I needed to eat a real meal. I ordered a summer citrus salad with spinach, mango, strawberries and pecans. When eating raw, ask to toss your salad in EVOO and ACV as opposed to the dressing. The salad was light but filling. I got muh greens in and my fruit in and that’s all that mattered. I did feel a bit better afterwards. It made me realize how important is to eat even when I don't feel like it. 





Nutrition is so important during this time of the month for women. Our body needs all the nutrition and energy it can get to work through the process. Plus, we need to replenish our bodies with the water and nutrients we are losing. Spinach = iron! Check! While we may feel crappy and crave only salt and sugar, it's important that we continue our healthy eating routine throughout this time, consuming as much as the body needs to make it through the week. So don't be like me. If you wake up feeling crappy and bleh, drink a juice with some turmeric to reduce inflammation and ginger to help ease some of the pain. It'll help. Now if I'd only listen to my own advice. :P


Since it was so late in the afternoon before we got to eat “lunch” I wasn’t really hungry afterwards. I tried to drink as much water as possible to stay hydrated and beat the bloat and nibbled on some sweet dates as a treat. 

I know it’s not the most exciting food day but tomorrow should be better now that day 1 has passed :)

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! Any raw food restaurants near ya?

*Beth*

Participants Recipes

Avocado Snack
By Julie Peters

Mix together cubed avocado, halved cherry tomatoes and chopped leek or scallions. Tastes great alone or on top of a bed of kale.

Banana Chocolate Nut Smoothie
By Lucia Morrison


  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1 Tbsp raw almond butter
  • 2 tsp of raw cacao
  • 1 tsp raw agave
  • 8 ounces of almond milk
    1. Blend and enjoy! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment