Tuesday, August 5, 2014

16 Weeks: The Mystery of the Dreadful Weekends


This week has been a very long and very interesting week. My emotions are on a complete roller coaster ride right now and new symptoms are popping up…again! I have been eating well, thank goodness, and exercising when I can. Best of all, I feel great…except for during the weekends.
The weekends are a complete dread for me. Between Friday and Sunday my body goes through this normal routine of headaches, vomiting and exhaustion. I have no idea exactly WHY I go through this every single weekend, but I believe I have narrowed it down to either too much sleep, too much physical activity combined with not enough food and water, or a slack on taking my prenatals (I’m bad, I know!). Whatever it is, I dread the weekends. I’m hoping to one day figure it all out and actually enjoy a Saturday not keeled over the porcelain throne. I’m really tired of cleaning that thing daily.
Do you have any thoughts on what it could be? Is my body just doing all its work on the weekends sending my hormones on a surge during these days? Anyone?

 

My Current Diet

I am currently obsessssssed with yummy morning milkshakes loaded with 20 plus grams of protein and tons of healthy energy producing carbs. These nutrient loaded milkshakes keep me satisfied, energized and most importantly, busy while driving into work. I get a bit nauseous in the car so sipping continuously seems to help. This week I made a couple of varieties: strawberry banana, chocolate and PB and J! The PB and J was obviously my fave! Want the recipe!? You got it!

High Protein “PB and J” Milkshake

  • 2 frozen bananas
  • 5 strawberries (or more!)
  • 1 packet of Justin’s Almond or Peanut Butter
  • 1 scoop of Sunwarrior’s Vanilla Warrior Blend Protein Powder (optional)
  • 2 cups almond milk and/or water
  • 1 tsp of maca powder
  • 1 small handful of ice
  • 1 Tbsp cacao nibs
    1. In a blender, blend together everything but the cacao nibs until well blended and smooth.
    2. Add in cacao nibs and do a quick blend just to mix and to break the nibs up a bit.
    3. Pour into your favorite cup, add your fave glass straw, sip and enjoy!

For lunch I’ve been sticking to small salads loaded with lots of olives – another yummy obsession of mine – usually topped with a creamy dressing for more of a fill. Mid-afternoon I snack on raw veggies or fruit such as celery sticks, carrots, peaches, figs or whatever is in season. As for dinner, I cook up whatever veggie I’m already making for my family and usually combine it with gluten-free noodles or rice for some heartiness.
Looking at my current menu, I guess you can say I’m trying to follow a “Raw Til 4” diet: raw fruits and veggies until 4 then a cooked meal after 4 or for dinner. It’s been working well for me and I don’t end up waking up in the middle of the night starving. As I say, if it works, then stick to it!

 

My Exercise Routine

Yeahh I don’t really have one but I can tell I need to start one. I will take a random walk or bike ride every now and then if the weather is really nice, but for the most part I’ve been sitting on my bum. During the evening I’m on my feet most and by the time I’m done my body is sore and completely exhausted. Therefore, I listen and rest. No need to overdo it.
However, I have thought about incorporating some prenatal yoga a few times a week. My body has been experiencing joint pains thanks to the relaxin hormone that is loosening up my joints for birth and I can tell a good light stretch is in order. I just need to make sure I take it easy J
Do you have any suggestions for a prenatal exercise that is easy on the body?

 

My Pregnancy

This week my body has been feeling quite sore all over: my pelvic bone, hip joints, tail bone and back to be specific. I think it’s a combination of relaxin, soreness from random exercises and the increase in sitting during the day. I used to stand all day at work and now I only stand to file, walk around the building or cook and clean.  That’s nothing compared to the 6-10 hours I am used to. My solution? Exercise more and stretch!
This week I’ve also been feeling those little flitters and flutters and some punches that some women feel around this time. At first I assumed they were just gas or digestion but I have now been able to distinguish the difference between bodily functions and baby movements….I think. I seem to only be able to feel these little movements when I’m sitting down with a slump. Weird but true. It’s an amazing feeling though, to feel your baby move. It gives me reassurance to know my little baby is alive and well. It can also leave me with severe anxiety should I not feel the baby move much at all. The joys of pregnancy! Overall, it’s been a fun new experience this week. Now I’m just waiting til baby gets big enough to where daddy and sister can feel the movements too!
In other news, I had one of my many 2 weeks appointments today. They were short staffed so I got stuck with one of the doctors as my technician for the day. As much as I like the doctors, having a technician can be more fun for me. Usually they spend more time searching around and they tend to always give you photos at the end of the day. They’re also more trustworthy when it comes to knowing the sex of your baby; not that the doctor doesn’t know. It’s just that the technicians tend to do it more often. J
Today I got no photos, very little viewing of my baby, and an unsure answer as to what the sex of my baby is. I was still happy to see my not-so-little one, but I would have been happier if I got to see a full view of my baby, see it move and possibly get a photo to share. Oh well, I guess I will have to wait til next time. It is, after all, only 2 weeks away! Overall, everything looked good. The heartbeat was at 150, which was lower than normal, but it made sense considering my little avocado was just chilling and not moving very much for the doctor…which was quite unusual. Any other time s/he is causing trouble. My cervix is measuring normal as well and my placenta is moving up away from my cervix; another plus considering it was a concern last time. All in all everything looks “normal” which is what we high-risk mommas want to hear.

I’m truly thankful that everything is looking normal and healthy so far. I can’t ask for anything else…well, maybe for more time. Yeah more time would be good.
Until next week J

*Beth*

No comments:

Post a Comment