Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Marinated Mushrooms


Marinated Mushrooms
Lately, I have been enjoying fresh salads for lunch.  I love to experiment with different dressings and new flavor combinations.  However, when I pack salads to take to work I usually omit one of my favorite ingredients:  mushrooms.  When I make salads at home, I frequently omit a dressing and simply top my greens with sauteed shallots and mushrooms.  However, sauteed mushrooms don't pack well, and I find that unseasoned raw mushrooms lack the complexity and rich flavor of sauteed mushrooms. 

Recently I realized that I could create a mushroom topping that holds its flavor and texture by simply marinating the mushrooms.  I approached the recipe in the same way I create a dressing:  start with an oil, add a sour liquid (vinegar, lemon juice, etc), throw in some herbs, a pinch of salt and a hint of sweet.  I then amplified the flavor with onion, garlic and mustard.  The result is a sweet and tangy marinade that results in both a flavorful salad topping as well as the salad dressing.  Delicious!

Marinated Mushrooms

Ingredients:

·      8 oz sliced Button Mushrooms
·      2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
·      2 T White Balsamic Vinegar
·      2 T Fresh Basil
·      2 T Fresh Parsley
·      2 Medium Cloves Garlic
·      ¼ Medium Red Onion
·      ¼ t Mustard Powder
·      2 pinches stevia
·      2 pinches salt

Method:

  1. Place all ingredients except mushrooms in blender
  2. Blend until coarsely chopped
  3.  Mix in with mushrooms
  4. Let marinate several hours or overnight 


~Grace Geiger

No comments:

Post a Comment