Monday, October 21, 2013

B7DRC - October Edition: Day 1 - Raw Nachos/Tacos to Satisfy ALL Tastebuds



Its been a while since I’ve fully completed a raw challenge let alone posted about it! This year has been QUITE the busy one and while I enjoy being busy, I tend to slack on my health in the process. The last few months I’ve been focusing on me and what makes me happy. Spending time with my husband and daughter, enjoying some awesome new adventures such as hiking Old Rag Mountain, and planning my garden just to name a few. It’s been enjoyable but I miss writing posts about yummy foods and recipes so I figured what better way to get back into the groove of things then with my favorite raw challenge: Brad’s 7 Day Raw Challenge!

I miss this challenge and my body misses it too! So why wait! Who’s ready!?

Early Morning:

I finally started incorporating warm lemon water or warm ACV teas into my morning regimen. As I stated, I’ve sort of fallen off the health wagon and didn’t realize how great I feel when I drink my morning jump starter until I started the habit a little over a week ago. It sets my day just right. My system feels alive, rehydrated and ready for breakfast 30 minutes later. Why did I stop this!?

Breakfast:

I’m once again following Simple Green Smoothie’s 30 Day Smoothie Challenge and I’m loving the recipes this go around. This week is about low-fructose fruit smoothies which is perfect considering I’m a bit of a sugar addict. I’m hoping during this challenge I can break away from the growing sweet tooth I’ve developed over the last month.

Southern Swiss
By Simple Green Smoothies
Makes 16 ounces


  •  ½ cup swiss chard*
  • 1 cup kale*
  • 1 cup water
  •  ½ cup peaches, frozen
  •  ½ cup strawberries, frozen
  • 1 Tbsp coconut water

  1. Blend the greens, water and coconut oil together until smooth.
  2. Add the fruit and blend until smooth.
  3. Sip and enjoy!

**I used romaine instead of dark greens due to the lack of produce I have on hand this week. Our move has forced us to shop at Wegmans at least twice a month and not to hate on them, but they carry little local and barely any organic produce! It’s a nightmare!

Snack:


My kombucha cravings are back! MTO’s is no doubt the BEST! Raspberry today!

Lunch:

Talking about busy, work has been crazy! So much so that when I work from home I barely have time to make lunch sometimes. Today I forced myself to take an hour and whip up a delicious meal. My belly was growling louder than a grizzly and I had the hangry attitude to prove it. Eating was a necessity!

My husband was begging for me to make some guacamole so I decided to go ahead and whip up some raw nachos/tacos. I had found jicama to be the perfect raw chip alternative when craving for something crunchy that can be whipped up quickly and requires no dehydration.  It serves as the perfect dip scooper too!

This nacho/taco salad is a beautiful layer of jicama chips, lettuce, chipotle salsa , guacamole and creamy hemp sour cream. It’s both refreshing and warming thanks to the spices in the salsa, and completely satisfying thanks to the healthy fats in the avocado and hemp. Once you try this dish you’ll realize corn chips and cheese are just an option….

Are you shocked this Mexican addicts first savory dish is well, Mexican inspired? Of course not..

Jicama Nachos with 
Chipotle Salsa, Guacamole and Sour Hemp Cream.
Recipe by Beth Mickens


  • 1 medium sized jicama, peeled and sliced thick for chips or thinly for tacos
  • ½ cup shredded lettuce
  • ½ cup chopped tomatoes (I used cherry tomatoes, quartered)
  • ¼ small red bell pepper, diced
  • 1-2 Tbsp sliced green onions
  • 1 Tbsp of chopped cilantro
  • Dash of chipotle
  • Dash of cumin
  • Dash of salt
  • Guacamole (find my favorite recipe here)
  • 2 Tbsp hemp seeds
  • ½ Tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tsp maple syrup
  • 2 Tbsp water
  • Dash of salt

  1. As instructed, peel and slice the jicama to desired thickness. Thick for chips, thin for foldable tacos.
  2. In a small bowl combine the tomatoes, bell pepper, green onions, cilantro, chipotle, cumin and salt. Toss to combine, then set aside til ready to use.
  3. In a small personal blender add the hemp seeds, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, water and salt. Blend until smooth.
  4. To assemble, on a plate lay out 5-7 slices of jicama.
  5. Pile the lettuce in the middle.
  6. Top the lettuce with the salsa, then the guacamole, and finally drizzle with sour hemp cream.
  7. Top with a few raw spicy pepitas if you prefer.

Dinner:

Since dinner was so late I ended up snacking on dates, raw almond butter and apples. Yumm!

Day 1 is in the bag!

*Beth*



No comments:

Post a Comment