Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Brad's Raw Challenge: Day 3


Day 3 (Wednesday, October 17, 2012)

Today has been quite an interesting day. I woke up on time (thank goodness!) and made my warm lemon water to sip on while I got ready. As for the rest of the day!?

Breakfast:

For breakfast I had soaked some oat groats in raw hemp mylk for two days in preparation for my much desired raw cereal parfait which I topped with apples macerated in honey, lemon and cinnamon, some dried coconut, flax seed and walnuts! It was super delicious and really filling…not in a heavy way, but in a "I’m still not hungry and it’s 2 o’clock" kind of way! I loved it and can’t wait to make it again! Maybe less oats this time?

Soaked Oat Groat Cereal with Raw Cinnamon Apples

Oat Groats
  • ½ cup raw oat groats (steel cut soaks better and doesn’t end up as chewy, but full groats are sproutable!)
  • 1 cup, plus of raw hemp (or nut)  mylk and/or water
  1. Rinse and drain oat groats. Place in a jar or container and add in enough mylk and/or water to cover the groats about half-an-inch above the groats. Place in the fridge and allow to soak overnight.
  2. The next day, I actually rinsed my oats, drained and placed back in the fridge to use the next day. I wanted them fresh and chewy as opposed to soaked more and plus, a lot of “stuff” like phytic acid, is released during the soaking process so I prefer to wash it all away. It’s not really necessary to do this though. You can just stir and add more mylk if necessary.
  3. Store in the ridge until ready to use.
Cinnamon Apples
  • One (1) small apple, diced
  • ½ small lemon, juiced
  • 1 teaspoon of raw honey
  • Pinch of salt
  1. Toss all the ingredients together and allow to sit over night!
Assemble Parfait:
  1. In a jar or container, add ¼ cup of soaked oats, half of the apples, followed by another ¼ cup of oats and the remainder of the apples. Top with preferred toppings such as coconut, flax seeds and walnuts and keep a small jar of raw honey or other liquid sweetener handy to add a dab here and there as you dig in since the oats are bland. Or stir some sweetener in before making your cereal parfait!
So delish and super filling!

Lunch:

None! I was still super full from breakfast!

Workout:

I had used my hour of power to run errands at Target so I still had to work. I was contemplating a workout considering my legs were sore from my previous days body weights plus more weights workout that worked muscles in my legs that I haven't used in a while, but I pressed through, took the papers I had to read through and fast walked for half an hour. And can I say that was the fastest 30 minutes workout ever! Crazy! I did some ab workouts afterwards and called it a day. Now my legs feel worse...uh. I can barely sit down LOL!

Dinner:

Uh dinner. What an epic fail. I was so excited because I had sprouted some quinoa in preparations to make raw quinoa sushi and I couldn’t get the darn sushi to roll and stick! It was driving me bonkers! After three attempts I semi-successfully rolled a mini roll which stayed in tact long enough for me to cut it and eat it…as I was cutting it. I guess I should work on my sushi rolling skills before attempting THAT one again! Or maybe use a different rice…like cauli rice!? Hmmm…

Dessert:
To make up for my horrible dinner, I made a yummilicious dessert! Raw banana ice cream topped with raw chocolate sauce from yesterdays post, raw cacao nibs and raw pecans! That made me happy. Wish I had raw almond butter on hand…that would have made me even happier!

Raw Banana Ice Cream

  • 1 cup of frozen banana slices
  • 1-2 tablespoons of raw chocolate sauce (For a smaller amount, mix 1 tablespoon of cold pressed coconut oil, a little less than 1 tablespoon of raw cacao powder, and 1 teaspoon of raw honey)
  • Toppings: coconut, pecans, raw cacao nibs…options are endless!
  1. Place bananas into a high speed blender or food process and blend until creamy and smooth. You may have to stop and push down the sides a couple of times, but I promise it will come together!
  2. Scoop half of the banana ice cream into a bowl and top with raw chocolate sauce. Place in the freezer for a few minutes to harden.
  3. Top with fave toppings, snap a quick pic and then crack that yummy shell with a spoon! And you thought you’d have to give up ice cream on a raw diet! Haha I don’t think so!
As for the other half of the ice cream, place in the freezer for a later day or hand it over to the kiddos who will devour it faster than you did!

For the rest of the day, my daughter and I cracked open a yummy coconut, strained the yummy water inside, effortlessly peeled the meat off and now…have no idea what to do with all that goodness besides eat the meat raw (which by the way is the best way to enjoy a coconut!) Any suggestions?

Oh and enjoying a GT TriologyKombucha for a late night snack! Yumm love my raw soda!

No comments:

Post a Comment