Monday, February 25, 2013

Day 6 and 7!! We did it!


The weekends are always the hardest when it comes to sticking to any diet or exercise routine. You have no routine; you're always out and about; and someone always wants to eat out. That's exactly how this weekend was and I managed to stick to my raw diet. In the end, I'm happy I did. I didn't overeat like I usually do when we eat out which usually leads to digestive issues. Plus, it felt good to finally accomplish something! SO here's how the weekend went.

SATURDAY

Saturday was a busy day on the go so I prepared ahead of time. I didn't eat all of this, but I was prepped for any craving I had :)

Breakfast: This was a very interesting tasting smoothie. The combination of apple, blueberries, cinnamon and milk brought on a milkshake unlike any other. It was a bit chunk due to the apple, mildly sweet, spiced and yet very creamy. I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.

Apple Blueberry Smoothie

  • 1 Apple, cored and chopped
  • 2 Handful of Greens
  • 1 cup Frozen Blueberries
  • 1 tsp. Cinnamon
  • 1 cup Almond Milk, Coconut Milk or Water
Lunch/Dinner: I finally found the opportunity to use my dehydrator and make my first batch of Kale Chips.My daughter had fallen in love with Brad's Naked Kale Chips and I thought maybe it was time to make a batch for her to continuously snack on since we all know one box of Brad's never last a day let alone an hour.

I remembered pinning a yummy recipe for Pizza Kale Chips by Chef Amber Shea and decided THAT was the flavor I was going to try. My husband found the smell revolting (he's not fond of fennel) and my daughter, while said the kale chips were tasty, preferred a box of Brad's instead (I don;t blame her). I, however, loved them! I admit, the smell of the sauce is strong but they taste so so good. They were crunchy, somewhat chewy where the sauce was heavy and aromatic. The flavor was very similar to the pizza flavored snacks I recall eating back in the way way day. I took them with me and they ended up playing as my snack AND my dinner that day. They were addicting and filling! I highly recommend trying these! Chef Amber has instructions for a baked version as well.

Snacks/Desserts: Hail Merry's yummy tarts, Banana and raw almond butter

SUNDAY

Today was yet another busy day!

Breakfast: Despite the ingredients list, this smoothie was actually really yummy! It was sweet with a mild hint of green flavor and overall refreshing. Don't let the ingredients intimidate you :)

Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie

  • A small handful of Cilantro
  • 1 Frozen Banana
  • 1 inch piece of Ginger
  • 1 Handful of Greens
  • 1 tsp, Spirulina or Green Powder
  • 1 Tbsp of Chia or Hemp Seeds, or both
  • 1 cup Coconut Water or Water
 Snacks: Hail Merry's Treats, grapes, a Go Raw bar

Dinner: For dinner, I was making my family roasted broccoli and had some leftover so I used it to make a Broccoli Detox Salad I had made once before. I changed it up a bit though, adding avocado for some creaminess and placing it on top of greens and adding sprouts for more nutrition. 

Day After Detox Salad

modified to serve one
  • Mixed Greens
  • 1 small carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 cup of broccoli, cleaned and roughly chopped
  •  10 grape tomatoes,halved
  • 1 tablespoons sunflower seeds
  • 1-2 Tbsp.cilantro, minced
  • 1/2 - 1 Tbsp. grapeseed, hemp or other oil
  • 1/2 Tbsp.apple cider vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 1/4 Avocado, sliced
  • Sprouts
  1. Combine carrots and broccoli in food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Empty into a medium bowl. 
  2. Combine sliced grape tomatoes, sunflower seeds and cilantro in bowl. 
  3. On a plate, add a handful of mixed greens. Pour the broccoli salad on top. Top with avocado slices and sprouts.
  4. Whisk dressing together (oil, vinegar, nutritional yeast, lemon and salt & pepper) in small bowl and pour on top of salad.
  5. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper before serving.

Dessert: For dessert, I enjoyed a few slices of Hail Merry's delicious raw Persian Lime tarts!

AND we did it! YES!!! Brad's 7 Day Raw Challenge has been successfully completed! Woot woot! I feel great!! See ya next month!!

- BETH

No comments:

Post a Comment