Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Day 3: Raw Chipotle "Hummus"?



Day Three Baby!


So after yesterday’s thought of the day, look what popped into my News Feed. Coincidence? More like confirmation!



So let’s not waste another minute and get to Day 3 of Brad’s Raw Challenge! I swear these challenges get me so pumped! :)


Early Morning:


Yep, refreshing lemony water down the hatchet to jump start my metabolism and rehydrate my body!


Breakfast:


Mmmm mmmm! Another wonderful smoothie by Simple Green Smoothies! This time with lots of oranges! I topped my smoothie off with a bit of orange zest for an extra flavor boost. 


Citrus Clementine Punch

By Simple Green Smoothies

Serves 2

  • 2 cups spinach, fresh
  • 2 cups water
  • 6 clementines, peeled
  • 1 cup pineapple, frozen
  • 1 banana, frozen

Bleeeeend Away!



Lunch:


Remember yesterday in my post I said keep some of that delicious, creamy sun dried tomato cheese sauce aside for the next day!? Well that was because we need it to make a yummy chipotle “hummus” to use in our collard wraps! I have become quite addicted to making collard wraps lately and I have discovered this recipe to be a super favorite of mine. The original recipe is actually not raw and comes from Kathy over at Healthy. Happy. Life. Her pics alone made me drool, but anything with avocado is always a sure win. Looking at the recipe, I knew I could easily rawify it with just a few tweaks and the results, I have to admit, I’m pretty proud of! 


Raw Avocado Summer Collard Wraps


Modified to make 2 – 3 wraps



  • 2-3 collard leaves (depends on size)
  • Chipotle “hummus” * see recipe below
  • ¼ sweet onion, thinly sliced
  • ½ yellow or red tomato, sliced or ¼ cup grape tomatoes, sliced
  • 1 Tbsp of raw apple cider vinegar
  • ¼ lime, juiced
  • ½ Tbsp of favorite oil (olive, coconut, hemp, etc)
  • ½ Tbsp raw honey
  • Salt and Black Pepper
  • ¼ avocado, sliced
  • 1-2 carrots, shredded or julienned
  • ¼ red bell pepper, sliced
  • Sprouts
  • Optional: Pumpkin Seeds



*Chipotle “hummus”

  • 3 Tbsp of sundried tomato pepper
  • 2 heaping teaspoons of tahini
  • ½ lemon, juiced
  • As much mashed garlic as you want
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/8  tsp plus of chipotle powder

  1. In a small bowl, whisk all the ingredients together until well blended. Season to taste


To Prep:

  1. Make Chipotle “Hummus” then set far far away from wandering dipping fingers. You can thin it out a bit with some lime juice if you prefer.
  2. Wash, pat dry and de-stem the collard leaves. Chop the end of the collard leaves off, including the stem, to create a round collard “tortilla”. Using your knife, shave the protruding “top” of the remaining stem until the surface of your collard leaf is smooth and flat. Set aside.
  3. In a bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, honey, lime juice and fave oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the onions and tomatoes. Toss to coat the onions and tomatoes with marinade and set aside.


To Assemble:

  1. Lay one collard leaf flat onto working surface, If ya got the skills, use two overlapping collard leaves. I’m still working on my collard wrapping skills…they still look messy!
  2. Add a thin layer of chipotle "hummus" onto the surface of your collard leaf.
  3. Begin layering in the middle of your leaf, sprouts, carrots, avocados, onions, tomatoes, red bell peppers and a sprinkle of pumpkins seeds, if using. Add a dash of pepper.
  4. Carefully, wrap your collard leaf, tucking the sides in if possible.
  5. Repeat with remaining collard leaves.

This will make three small wraps. 


Enjoy with an extra squeeze of lime juice or some extra “hummus” IF you have any left!


Snacks:

Lots of snacking! First, I made a super refreshing and tangy kiwi strawberry mint with a squeeze of lime vitamin water which I allowed to sit overnight in the fridge.


I then snacked on Gopal’s raw nori wraps in Mexican flavor. So good!


Lastly, I pre-fueled with a Black Current Chia kombucha before working out!


Dinner: 


I think the chia kombucha did me in for the day. I wasn’t too hungry after my workout so I drank lots of water and nibbled on some freshly made raw cinnamon nut butter! 

Yeah to Day 3! 

- Beth 


No comments:

Post a Comment