Sunday, July 28, 2013

B7DRC: Day 6 and 7 - The July Edition



Too often it happens where I plan an event-free weekend and by the time Friday rolls around I have a packed schedule. That was this weekend. Busy, busy once again. And when I’m busy, I barely eat. I know, it makes no sense, but it’s true. Which is why during these challenges I normally combine Saturday and Sunday together because, well, I don’t have too much to share. Did I get to dehydrate anything? Sadly no, but I have some things soaking. I’ll get to it eventually. Until then, fresh, fast food it is. 

SATURDAY

Breakfast

One of the reasons I don’t eat much on the weekends is because I tend to sleep in. Who wouldn’t? Waking up 2-3 hours past my normal wake up time typically means 1 meal and 1 snack is already out of the day’s eating routine leaving me with only 2 meals and a snack. Sounds about right. After waking up and rehydrating I whipped together a quick breakfast before heading out to the farmer’s market: Banana Bites. 

One of my favorite fruits to combine with nut butter is bananas. They just work so beautifully together, especially the just ripe bananas that are slightly firm and slightly sweet. I could have just slathered some nut butter on top the banana, drizzled, sprinkled and served, but my love for food plating and photography took over. I sliced the banana in even slices, took one slice, slathered it with a pinch of raw walnut cashew butter, topped it with another slice and repeated with the remaining slices. I then drizzled with local, raw honey and topped with cacao nibs. The results, a breakfast party in both my mouth and belly. Sometimes the easiest food concoctions are the most satisfying. Loved. 


Snack:

While running errands with fruit filling my passenger seat, it was a bit hard to NOT grab a few blueberries and yellow plums. The plums were so soft and sweet! 


Lunch:

Before we headed out, I whipped up a quick blueberry smoothie loaded with leftover veggies and fruits. It was light and sweet and creamy thanks to the hemp seeds I added. I have come to realize that instead of making fresh almond milk and risk NOT using it all, I just throw hemp seeds into a smoothie that I want to be creamy. It works perfectly every single time. 

Blueberry Mango Cuke
Recipe by Beth Mickens
Makes 16 Ounces


  • 1 cup kale
  • 1 cup water
  • ¼ cucumber, peeled
  • ½ over ripe mango, peeled and diced
  • ½ cup blueberries
  • ½ banana
  • 2 Tbsp of hemp seeds
  • Squeeze of lime or lemon juice (optional)
    1. Blend and go!

Snack:

The best fast food is also the freshest. As I was cleaning the house I nibbled on an apple. Super refreshing!

Dinner:

Dinner was easy because I had been planning to make it for the last couple of days. I finally was able to soak my nuts to make this mouthwatering dip which I used to dress my broccoli salad. The dip is another testing recipe for Jonie Marie Newman’s new vegan book. As usual, I can’t share the recipe but I can share my thoughts on the taste: nutty, robust and insanely addictive. I did have to make a few subs to ensure it was 100% raw, but I couldn’t imagine it tasting any different than holy yumm.

As for the salad, another leftover throw together. 

Broccoli Salad with Secret Dip/Dressing
Salad Recipe by Beth Mickens
Makes 1



Broccoli Salad:
  • 1 small head of broccoli, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
  • ¼ cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
  • 1 green onion, sliced
  1. Throw all together in a bowl and toss.
  2. Dress with desired dressing (A cashew cheese would be awesome!)

SUNDAY FUNDAY

Breakfast:

Woke up late again. Actually, really late this time. I wasn’t really in the mood to eat until we got to Whole Foods where I saw the kombuchas and began craving for one. So one I had! Gingerberry it was and mmm was it good.

By the time we got home is was lunch time and I was starting to get hungry. I whipped up a quick smoothie to satisfy my belly til later. Loaded with greens and berries, it was another berrylicious smoothie!

Creamy Peachberry
Recipe by Beth Mickens
Makes 16 Ounces

  • ½  heaping cup peaches
  • ½ heaping cup mixed berries
  • ½ banana
  • 1 cup greens
  • 1 cup water
  •  2 Tbsp hemp seeds
    1. Blend and go!
Lunch:

You will NOT believe what I found at Whole Foods! YES! I found Brad’s Raw Onion Rings!! I cannot lie. I literally did a scream, and a shriek and a mini-jump in the air with hands clapping as I discovered the beauties sitting inconspicuously on the second to last shelf in a section the kale chips normally do not sit. I’m sure the social media reps at Brad’s can tell you I have been WAITING for these babies to come out. My husband, lover of the kale chips, was just as thrilled as, if not more excited than, me. He said, and I quote, “these may just become a fetish of mine”. LOL whatever THAT’s supposed to mean!

The “Rings on Fire” flavor became my husband’s and I’s movie treat and also my lunch. It also was the fuel of another mini fight as I sort of, kind of ate them all. He kept eying me and giving me the “huff and puffs” as I opened and closed the box multiple times, sneaking in a few here and there. Finally the box was near empty and all he could do was look at me and say, “I can’t leave anything near you!”. He’s right. When it comes to Brad’s you can’t. I’ll clear the box in seconds. All I could do was laugh and scream back, “I can’t believe I have to fight you for raw food!” I can’t complain. He’s eating raw foods. That’s a major step.

Once you taste these you’ll understand why we battled for them. The flavor was amazeballs - Dare I say better than the Nasty Hot kale chips? The onion flavor is very prominent and strong but in a really good way. Without it, it wouldn’t be onion rings! They’re aromatic, flavorful and caramely sweet. The “batter” is very light (for some pieces, maybe a bit too light?) but still noticeable, yet not overbearing either (which is a good thing!). For this particular flavor the spiciness was perfect. Hot, but not too hot. As for texture, a majority of the onion rings are chewy with a few bits slightly crispy. I was expecting crispy but should have known an onion is less than likely to crisp unless burnt. The chewiness wasn’t a turn off, just different from what we typically expect from an onion ring. We had to remind ourselves these were in fact raw. 

Overall, Brad’s has something seriously going on. The idea of developing raw onion rings is near genius as the idea is unique, rare, and intriguing to both raw foodies and omnis. I have no doubts it’s going to be a hit product in the future just like their kale chips. It’s a hit with my omni husband and that’s saying a lot; trust me!
I will definitely be purchasing these again in the very near future. Now if we can just learn to share…



Dinner:

Honestly, I wasn’t too hungry afterwards. Instead I found myself mindlessly nibbling on watermelon and other fruits and veggies as I prepped meals for the week. Watermelon is always filling; especially when you engorge yourself on it like I tend to do.*burp*

There we have it! Another raw challenge successfully completed! As you can see, eating 100% raw for 7 days isn’t as hard as it may sound. All you have to do is make sure your fridge and pantry is stocked, pre-prep for the week and success is bound to come as a result. If you cheat, all you do is brush it off and move on. Changing your diet and lifestyle doesn’t happen overnight. It’s a learning process where failing is never an option. All you can do is progress. As long as you pick yourself up and treck on. 

Congrats challengers! Are you ready to join us next month? Are you ready to take the challenge?

*Beth*

No comments:

Post a Comment