Saturday, August 3, 2013

Product Review: Surf Sweets: Organic, non-GMO, allergy-friendly, gluten-free and VEGAN gummies!



Candy. Oh, sweet, delicious, chemical-laden candy.

That cursed little 5-letter word that used to bring us out of hysterical fits straight to smiles as a child now makes us health-conscious adults and parents cringe with slight disgust. Food additives, refined sugar, preservatives, HF corn syrup equals chemical crap bomb and uncontrollable children. And, if you’re a health conscious momma like me, then you understand the battle that I choose to face when that sweet little word comes out of my daughter’s mouth as she’s holding a loaded bag. Complete war. Yep, fighting candy out of the hands of a child use to be tough and frustrating, but thanks to companies like Surf Sweets and YummyEarth, we no longer have to fight. Just bargain.


I have to say, I’m really proud of my little girl as she has proven over the last year she has learned quite a bit from my continuous talk about choosing healthy foods. She doesn’t complain about bringing her own lunch and snacks to school as opposed to eating what’s being served and she always eats her fruits and veggies without hesitation. I have to boast, she has been taught pretty well. Unfortunately, though, like many children, she still faces outside influences that question her food choices. A good example is McDonald's. 

My daughter is for some reason intrigued by that horrible place and every now and then she get’s “lucky” to go (no need to say exactly how), increasing her desires to return. I truly believe it’s a combination of mystery, or a need to experience, along with commercials, toys and, as she states, the yumminess of the food, but whatever it is, it’s frustrating. However, I know I have to be a bit flexible as I continue to practice my beliefs that everyone has the right to choose; even my 6 year-old. All I can do is influence and that’s exactly what I do with candy.
My daughter rarely gets exposed to candy but when she does, trying to convince her to toss it is a struggle. Prior to discovering Surf Sweets and YummyEarth, I had nothing to trade with her and so would give in to a point. I'll still give in every now and then, depending on the treat or the occasion, but for the most part, I now swap. She hands over the candy and in return she fills her jar with treats from Surf Sweets, YummyEarth and many more organic candy companies that have made a commitment to rekindle the love between child and candy and to save us parents a small part of our sanity.  :)


One of the candy companies my daughter adores is Surfs Sweets. Using organic fruit juices and sweeteners, Surf Sweets produces what I deem as the best gummies ever. A majority of their products are around 95% organic, gluten-free, allergy-friendly and loaded with Vitamin C. And you want to know something even better? A good number of their gummies are vegan! The vegan gummies are the best I have found so far in terms of taste and texture. The texture is soft, yet chewy and the flavor, bursting with juicy, fruitiness that is slightly sweetened with a light, crunchy coating of sugar. So, yes, now you can have your gummy bears and eat them too my little vegheads!

Surf Sweets produces a wide variety of gummies for both vegans and non-vegans.  

Non-Vegan
  • Gummy Bears: You won’t know the difference. My husband didn’t. Oh, except for maybe the fact they are actually soft and not hard.
  • Gummy Worms and Spooky Spiders: A perfect alternative for Halloween
  • Jelly Beans: A little venture out from the gummy world, these little candies are just as good as the “originals” but with a new and more exciting twist on the flavors. Each bag contains a combination of Tropical Punch, Lemon Aid, Watermelon, Mixed Berry, Tangerine and Pineapple.
Vegan
  • Fruity Bears – Similar to regular gummies except coated in a light, sweet sugar for extra yumminess.
  • Sour Berry Bears and Sour Worms – That’s right! Pucker up baby! These gummies are a perfect blend of sweet and sour. Each bite is sweet with just a slight hint of sour punch.
  • Fruity Hearts – Love the juicy watermelon and cherry flavors. These are perfect for V-day!
  • Gummy Swirls – I love these little gum-drop shaped goodies loaded with a swirl of creamy fruitiness.
  • NEW! Watermelon and Peach Rings – Yes, I know, exciting right! These little rings are loaded with juicy, summer flavor. Both are also certified non-GMO and organic. Score!
As you can see, TONS of vegan options to choose from! I can’t pinpoint which one is my absolute favorite as I love the unique flavor of each one, but if I was forced to choose one, I’d most likely go for the Sour Bears/Worms or Gummy Swirls. As for my daughter, she’s hooked on those Gummy Worms!


As I stated, it’s not every day we buy candy because, well, candy, organic or not, is still just straight sugar, but everyone deserves a treat every now and then and now I know where to look. Plus, even better, I know which candies to use to bribe the not-so-good candies out of my daughter’s hands. :)
So next time you need to make a swap with your little one or you're just looking for a healthier, and possibly vegan, alternative to your favorite chewy treats, then grab a bag of Surf Sweets while on your next grocery trip and experience candy at its best. I’m pretty positive you're gonna love them.
    Do you have a favorite candy that you're still waiting to be veganized? Mine are red hots! 
    OR What type of candy is the hardest to pry out your child's hands?


Oh...Surf Sweets has been posting several adorable hand-drawn pics featuring their gummies. I love the idea and decide to come up with one of my own. I'm not a fantastic artist, but this was fun none the less.

From Surf Sweets Facebook Page

From Surf Sweets Facebook Page

My drawing :)
*Beth*
Disclaimer: Keep calm, it’s just my opinion. While I was provided the product for free via a contest, this does not alter, or in any way change my opinion of this product. It’s candy. Who doesn’t love candy!?

No comments:

Post a Comment