Wednesday, October 23, 2013

B&DRC - October Edition: Raw Cheesey Queso and Raw-Nola that pleases.



Today is Day 3 and I’m back in the office today which means back to prepping the night before…Boo! Okay, okay I honestly can’t complain. Two days working from home IS awesome…just wish I could do it every day! Then again, I would probably be blueberry :P.

Picture courtesy of Messy Morgan's Kitchen

Today’s meals were fast to prep but equally as delicious as the previous day’s, more gourmet-esque goodies.Then again you already knew that :)

Early Morning:

Lemon tea to heal the soul…and gut.

Breakfast:

Broke the fast with yet again, another fabulous Simple Green Smoothie.  This one is called Tree Fruit and contains just that: pears and peaches!

I am very low on greens so I’m using very little in my smoothie and increasing the fruit. Not exactly the point of these smoothies but gotta modify according to what I have! 

Tree Fruit
Makes 16 ounces
  • 1 cups of spinach
  • 1 small, super ripe pear
  • 1 cup peaches, frozen
  • ½ large banana*
  • 1 tbsp of coconut oil
  • 1 cup water
  1. Blend and enjoy!

**I added the banana for a bit of sweetness. It's not part of the original recipe.

Lunch:

My jicama tacos reminded me that I had a wonderful recipe for Sunflower Queso sitting around in my recipe book from a cooking class I had attended a few months back.  I recall the dip being full of robust, queso flavors: cheesy, tomatoes with a hint of heat. I knew I had to make it, but with what? Of course, I could have had veggie sticks and dip for lunch but what fun is that? I pondered for a moment until realizing I had a zucchini and then it hit me: Zucchini Noodles with Sunflower Queso. Simple. Sprinkled with some sprouted spicy sunflower seeds and we’re good to go.

Sunflower Queso Dip
Makes 2 servings

  • ½ cup of sunflower seeds, soaked for 30 minutes to a couple of hours, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
  • ¼ red bell pepper
  • ½ small tomato
  • 2 tsp chickpea miso
  • ½ - 1 Tbsp water
  • 2 -6 tsp of nutritional yeast (I added more because I love the flavor and wanted mine extra cheesy!)
  • ½ clove garlic
  • ¼ jalapeno
  • Pinch of chipotle powder
  1. Blend in a high speed blender until well blended.
  2. Serve with veggie chips, veggie sticks, or on top of a salad or noodles.
Snack:

For the last month my husband and I have been participating in some new, fun, somewhat intense activities: hiking and rock climbing. I’ve also been trying to increase my workouts, including running, but I noticed my energy levels have not been consistent. One day I'm fully energized the next day exhausted. I couldn’t figure it out so my first response was to start consuming high-carb, low-fat, energy sustaining snacks an hour or so prior to my workout. I sought out everything from smoothies, to energy balls to dehydrated treats including this delicious Almond and Coconut Raw-Nola by the beautiful and oh, so talented Gena Hemshaw from Choosing Raw. I’m still experimenting with this new pre-workout "diet" but so far the snacks are working! 


This raw-nola is not only easy to make and quick to dehydrate but it’s also loaded with energy sustaining carbohydrates, a little healthy fat and tons of protein. It’s perfect for on-the-go or at home with a bowl of bananas and almond milk, pre- or post-workout or heck just as a delicious snack! I like to keep mine in the fridge for extra crunch and just because I like it cold, but it’ll store at room temp as well. I plan on switching up the nut butters and using a chocolate nut butter next time...mmm! 

Here is the recipe for Gena’s Almond and Coconut Granola. I followed it as written. The only thing I added was a Tbsp of raw caca nibs for extra crunch and a hint of cocoa flavor because nothing is complete without chocolate!

 "Dinner":

I enjoyed yet another fabulous kombucha by MTO this time in strawberry flavor...only sad part is...I'm all out. Waaah!

And another day gone. What was on your plate on this chilly, beautiful hump day?

*Beth*


No comments:

Post a Comment