Thursday, March 14, 2013

Day 4: Smoky Mexican Kale Salad

Already over the halfway mark!! 7 Days is Easy Peasy!



Morning Routine: 

Get that glass of lemon water in! Do what I do and chug it first thing when you wake up. By the time you get ready, you’re body will be hydrated and your digestive system will be ready to go!

Breakfast:
You are going to LOVE this smoothie! It is icy cold, thick, perfectly balanced with a blend of both sweet and tart and mmm mmmm good! I love the simple, purple ones :)

Dandelion Detox Smoothie

  • 1 handful of dandelion greens (or other local wild greens)
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1 cup of frozen mixed berries
  • 1Tbsp of hemp and/or chia seeds
  • 1 cup of coconut water or water

  1. Blend and go!

Lunch: 

Last night I realized something, I’m obsessed with chipotle! No not the restaurant (as yummy as it is, all that salt makes me feel like a frickin’ hot air balloon afterwards) but the smoky, spicy pepper itself! Think about it, I made chipotle chocolate ice cream, chipotle cheddar and now a chipotle cream kale salad!? I think I have fallen in love with this complex spice because of its rich, smoky, spicy flavor. Next thing you know it I’ll be adding it to my smoothies…hmmm!? ;)

I had made this dish a couple of weeks ago and swore I would make it for Brad’s challenge after falling so in love with such a unique twist to your typical kale salad. As you may guess, it’s smoky, spicy, salty, savory and tart and loaded with a mixture of textures from creamy to chewy to crunchy. Mmm love it! 

I must warn you, it is SPICY! And I mean make your nose run hot! If you’re not a spicy hot fan, omit the chipotle powder or just use a pinch. The original recipe also provides a spice blend that tastes similar to chipotle that you can whip up and sprinkle in as an alternative.

Wilted Kale Salad with Creamy Chipotle Dressing
Recipe adapted from Russell James, the Raw Chef
Modified to serve 1 average size portion
For the Wilted Kale:

  • 4-5 large leaves of kale, washed, de-stemmed and chopped (about 4 cups)
  • Sprinkle of salt
  • ¼ cup grape tomatoes, halved
  • 2 Tbsp of corn
  • 2 Tbsp of diced zucchini
  • 2 Tbsp of diced bell pepper, red or green
  • 1 heaping Tbsp of chopped cilantro
  • 1 heaping Tbsp of chopped green onions or red onion
  • 2 Tbsp of black beans, rinsed and drained (for those not on a 100% raw challenge)
  • 2 Tbsp of hemp hearts (seeds)
  • Alfalfa sprouts, optional

For the Dressing:

  • ½ avocado
  • 1 Tbsp of hemp oil (or any raw oil of choice)
  • ¼ - ½ tsp of chipotle powder OR
    • Chipotle Powder Alternative: Mix together ¼ tsp of onion powder, cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder. Use only half of the seasoning blend. Save the other half for another day.
  • ¼ tsp of tamari
  • ½ lemon, juiced (about ½ Tbsp)
  • 1-2 Tbsp of water

  1. In a blender or food processor (I used my small bullet), blend together the avocado, hemp oil, chipotle powder or seasoning blend, tamari, lemon juice and only 1 Tbsp of water to start off. Continue to blend, adding as much water as needed until desired consistency is reached. I like my dressing thick and creamy! Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, add the kale and a sprinkle of salt and massage the kale with your hands until it wilts and takes on a cooked texture. Yes, your hands will turn a bit green!
  3. Add the tomatoes, corn, zucchini, bell pepper, cilantro, green onions, beans (if using), hemp hearts and dressing and mix all together until the the kale and veggies are well covered in dressing.
  4. Season with salt to taste.
  5. Top with alfalfa sprouts and serve (with a giant glass of H2O!)


Snacks: Another warm green tea with , a banana, and a nutter butter fudge cup.


Dinner:

I wasn’t really hungry today so I ended up nibbling while I fixed tomorrows lunch and then I got a craving for some juicy fruit. So I made a fruit salad with orange, kiwi and banana which I tossed in raw coconut milk and topped with flax seed. Shredded coconut would have been a yummy addition as well! Tasty, light and refreshing!


Evening Routine: Have to have my ACV tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment