Monday, March 18, 2013

Day 6 and 7: Never too busy to eat raw!


 With moving day part 1 only 5 days away, my entire weekend has been spent stressing and packing. With that, I didn’t “cook” much, except for Friday night when I spent some time making goodies for the dehydrator. But, no matter how busy I am, I always make sure to stay focus on my health, drinking smoothies every morning and eating the best fast food this earth can offer, fruits and veggies!!!

SATURDAY

Morning Routine: Yep, you guessed it! A giant glass of lemon water!

Breakfast:

Today was the last day of Young and Raw’s 30 Day Smoothie Challenge. Even though I am sad and going to miss such an awesome community, I’m happy of the new habit that this challenge has created. I crave smoothies every morning which keep me full and energized for hours. I’ve even noticed a tighter tummy. Umm awesome!!! This challenge may be over, but I plan on continuing my smoothie habit by following Young and Raw’s January List of smoothies until the next challenge begins, hopefully sometime in April. I’ll keep you updated when the next challenge begins and hope you will join me! It’s easy and the results are amazing!!

Detox Support Proteins and Greens Smoothie
by Young and Raw, Day 30

  • 1 cup of cucumber
  • 1 handful of broccoli sprouts
  • 1 apple, cored
  • 1 handful of parsley
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • 1 Tbsp of hemp or chia seeds
  • 1 cup of water or coconut water
    1. Blend and Go!!


Lunch:  

On Friday night I whipped up two yummy treats to dehydrate over night: raw jalapeño cheese is and raw plantain tortillas. I woke up early the next morning to check on my goodies only to find them both stuck to the round plastic trays. With patience (half of it anyways) and a little bit of skill, I managed to peel the cheese its and tortillas off the tray to cut and flip. In the end, I managed to gain a small full bowl of chewy yet deliciously addictive raw jalapeno cheeze its and about three large pieces of tortilla. The Cheeze Its didn’t last long. With all the packing and moving around, I ended snacking on them all day long. They kept me full and quite satisfied. 

I was a bit disappointed that they weren’t as crunchy as I would have liked them to, leaving them more like  cheesy crisp, chews the cheesy crackers, but the flavor was so addictive, it made up for what little these yummy bites lacked. I was really shocked on how unspicy they were considering I added half a jalapeno, but they did add a hint of something different to the typical cheesy flavor.

I definitely recommend giving these a try! Next time, I hope to make them more spicy and if my patience is willing, crispier.

You can find the recipe for Raw Cheeze Its by Lisa Viger of the Raw $10 a Day blog here. I didn’t make any changes except for the split the recipe in half. 

If you make these you MUST let me know what you think!!

Snacks: 

I snacked on raw guac while my family enjoyed tacos at a local Mexican restaurant and nibbled, oh okay indulged, on raw nut butter fudge!

Dinner: 

So for dinner, I had plans on making raw coconut cream cheese to put in between my yummy plantain tortillas, but one, the nuts for the cream cheese needed to be soaked overnight and two, my tortillas were a bit too sweet for something savory, even though they were flavored with garlic and other savory spices. So instead, I decided to make my favorite quesadilla: almond butter, banana and cacao. Yumm!!!

It was simple to make. I spread raw almond butter over half of the tortilla; added a layer of sliced banana; a sprinkle of cacao nibs; and a drizzle of raw honey. Fold and eat!!

It was so so good, even though the tortilla had a bit of savoriness to it. It was a great blend of flavors and oh so satisfying!!! One of my faves!! 

The recipe for the tortillas allows for a lot of flexibility which I thought could end up a disaster. However, I realized that this recipe is nearly impossible to screw up. SO here is what I did.

Raw Savory Plantain Tortillas


  • 2 extra large (about 10 inches long) plantains
  • 2 tsp of garlic powder
  • 1 tsp of onion powder
  • 1 tsp of salt
  • 1 tsp of turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp of lemon pepper or regular pepper
  • Pinch of chili powder
  • ¼ cup of ground flax
  • ½ plus cup of water
    1. In a high speed blender or food processor, blend the plantains until smooth.  
    2. Add all the seasoning powders into the processor and blend once more.
    3. Continue to blend, slowly adding in the water until the mix is thick yet thin enough to be pourable. You may have to add more water to reach this consistency.
    4. Spread a nice thin layer onto your dehydrator sheet, you can make circles or cover the entire sheet, whatever you prefer!
    5. Dehydrate between 105-115 degrees (around 112 degrees) until the tortillas are dry on top and slightly sticky on the downside (not gooey or wet). Peel the tortillas off the sheet, flip and dehydrate for a few hours until completely dry, but still flexible, not crisp!
    6. Enjoy with your favorite hummus, raw cheese or nut butter!!

Evening Routine:  ACV  Tea!!


SUNDAY:

I know I’m late, but Happy St. Patty’s Day anyways!!! I didn’t wear my greens, but I was sure to eat them J

Morning Routine: Water!! Chug, chug, chug!!


Breakfast:

With St. Patty’s Day here, all last week I saw recipes for the brightest, greenest, and mintiest alternatives to McDonald’s “Shamrock Shake”. So I decided I might as well make one too! My “milkshake” is a combo of Young and Raw’s healthy Shamrock Shake and Chef Amber Shea’s Mint Chocolate Chip Shake

I didn’t have any raw milk on hand so of course, I made a quick batch of coconut milk (1/2 cup of meat, 1 cup of filtered water, 1-2 Tbsp of dried coconut, blend, strain and use!) to use. Mmm mmm mmm was this smoothie AMAZING!! Creamy, sweet and oh so sweet and delicious!! I will def be making this again..and again…and again!!! I will have to say though, next time, I will be using all green kale or spinach and NOT purple kale…the color is not so appealing. 

Raw Cacao Mint “Shamrock Shake”
by Beth Mickens

  • 1 – 1 ½ frozen bananas
  • 1 handful of kale (use all green for a brighter color; mine was purple!)
  • 1 small handful of mint leaves
  • 1 heaping Tbsp of raw cacao nibs
  • 5-6 drops of peppermint extract
  • ¼ tsp of Sunwarrior’s Ormus Green powder
  • 1 Tbsp of hemp seeds
  • 1 cup of coconut milk or other milk alternative
  1. Blend and sip aggressively!

Lunch: 

We we’re so crazy busy unpacking groceries and packing everything else that I just snacked on Brad’s delicious Nasty Hot Kale Chips! Plus I needed to make sure I finished them first before my husband since HE ate my first box!

Dinner: 

I took a break from packing and whipped up a batch of raw coconut cream cheese using a recipe I found on the Golubka blog. Sadly, it didn’t turn out the way I was expecting it to. 

The nuts were crunchy even though I soaked them for over 8 hours and the ending result wasn’t very thick nor creamy. I wonder if it was the Irish moss powder I used as a replacement for the regular soaked Irish moss. Maybe I added too much?? Not sure what I did wrong, BUT that will not stop me! I will make this dish again and again and again until I get it right! 

The now dip was still usable but needed a boost of extra flavor. I added a bit more lemon, salt and nooch which turned it into the perfect spread and filling. I filled some celery sticks with it and made a quick open faced sandwich using Sourdough flavored flax crackers I bought from Livin Spoon. I spread some the cream cheese on top, and topped it with sprouts, tomatoes and cukes! It was pretty tasty considering it was a mess up! 

Until next time, you can find the recipe here. I followed it word for word minus the Irish moss which I replaced with Irish moss powder. I still think that was the mess up culprit but I’ll never know until next time :)

Dessert: 

I still had some raw chipotle chocolate ice cream in the fridge so I had a scoop and got my butt back to work!

AND WE DID IT!!! Brad's Raw 7 Day Challenge for March has been completed with ease!! So what was your fave recipe from this challenge!?

- Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment