Friday, March 15, 2013

Day 5: Carrot as a Pasta Alternative!?


It’s day 5 and I have yet to get my dehydrator running! I’m hoping to pop some raw cheese its and raw tortillas in this weekend so keep an eye out for those!

Happy Day 5 and even better...HAPPY FRIDAY!!! 

Morning Routine: Chugged a super strong lemon water down *Pucker*

Breakfast:

In the past month, Kerry and I have become smoothie makin’ machines, whipping up the yummiest and sometimes prettiest concoctions! Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook to see what we’re making for the day! Kerry is “less raw” then I am (at least for now ;)) so if you’re looking for broccoli alfredo, pizza or some other comfort meal with a vegan twist, then you’ll LOVE her posts! Check out her recipe for Jalapeno Poppers here!

Today’s smoothie was tart yet sweet! It was an easy chugger thanks to its taste and consistency. I do feel a bit short-changed on the amount of smoothie that was produced. I mean there’s so much space left!! I guess I didn’t add enough water or kale. Or maybe my orange was small? Hmmm…either way, some ice would have been a great addition to make it frosty.  

Citrus Detox Smoothie

  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1 large orange, juiced
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • ½ lemon, juiced
  • 2 handfuls of kale or other greens
  • 1 Medjool date
  • 1 Tbsp coconut (dried)
  • 1 inch piece of ginger
  • 1 cup of coconut water or water


Lunch:

If you don’t know already, I, one, love testing recipes and throwing my own twist to them and two, I rarely eat the same dish twice, unless it’s really good…or 3 months later. So, looking for a new dish I turned to rawfoodrecipes.com and searched for something unique and different. Of course, there were tons of recipes I wanted to try, but there was one I kept going back to, surprisingly: a raw carrot ribbon salad with coconut almond satay sauce. Maybe it was the coconut; maybe it was the almond butter; or maybe it was just the beautiful colors that drew me in to this dish. Either way, it was getting made!

I started with the sauce, attempting to break the recipe down by a fourth (1/4) to serve 1 and while it can be done, it is a PIA and requires a ton of tweaking. In other words, this recipe can only be halved; anything smaller may change the taste of the sauce so, go for half and either share or save for later! I did make a few changes which you can find in the recipe below.

As for the taste, as a nut butter addict, this was crazy good. The sauce is thick, nutty, sweet, savory and salty which goes well with the lightly sweet, crunchy carrots. The cilantro and mint add a twisting punch to this dish, making it both rich and vibrant! If you’re not a fan of carrots, you can use this sauce on zucchini noodles, regular noodles, or even as a dip with veggies or tofu! 

Carrot Ribbon Pasta Bowl with Coconut Almond Satay
Recipe adapted from Sarahfaé of Addicted to Veggies 
Recipe located at Rawfoodrecipes.com
  • 2-3 cups of carrot ribbons
  • 2 button mushrooms, halved and sliced
  • 2 Tbsp of chopped cilantro
  • 1 Tbsp of chopped mint
  • 3 Tbsp of diced red bell pepper
  • 1 green onion, sliced
For the sauce:
  • ¼ cup of raw almond butter
  • 1 ½ tsp of raw honey (in place of date paste)
  • 1 ½ tsp of lime juice (instead of apple cider vinegar)
  • ¼ tsp of minced garlic (instead of green onion)
  • ½ tsp of curry powder
  • ¼ tsp grated ginger
  • 1/8 tsp of cayenne
  • ½ - 1 Tbsp tamari (in place of coconut aminos)
  • 2 Tbsp of raw coconut milk (in place of coconut cream and water)
  • 1 ½ tsp of water (or as needed)
  • Salt to taste
    1. Add all the sauce ingredients into a bowl and whisk together until well blended.
    2. In a large bowl, add the carrot ribbons and half the satay sauce and mix until the carrot ribbons are well coated.
    3. Add the mushrooms, bell pepper, green onions, cilantro, and mint and toss to combine.
    4. Layer a bowl or plate with mixed greens. Place the carrot ribbons salad on top. 
    5. Top with sprouts before serving.

Snacks: A tea, a pear and another nut butter fudge cup!

Dinner:

My intentions were to make some raw zucchini hummus, but somehow I ended up with a lighter version of guacamole. As I was throwing the ingredients into the blender I decided to add half an avocado, hoping to end up with guacahummus, a blend of guacamole and hummus…instead I ended up with a lighter version of guacamole. Should have known that wasn’t going to work..none the less, it was tasty and I probably needed the lighter version after such rich lunch. 

Try it out and let me know what you think!  

Light Guac with a hint of hummus
Recipe from Beth Mickens
  • 1 cup of zucchini, chopped
  • ½ avocado
  • 3 Tbsp of raw sunflower seeds (I’m thinking of adding 1-2 Tbsp of almond butter or tahini (not raw) next time!)
  • ¼ tsp of mashed garlic
  • ½ lemon, juiced
  • A small handful of cilantro
  • Salt to taste
  • Pinch of cumin
  • 1 green onion, sliced
    1. Throw it all into a food processor and gently blend until smooth.
    2. Top with green onions or red onions chopped before serving.

Evening Routine: ACV tea!!!

I have raw jalapeno cheese its and raw plantain tortillas in the dehydrator!! Yumm!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment