Sunday, May 26, 2013

Brad's 7 Day Raw Challenge - Day 7: Blue Pineapple Basil Milkshake



Aaah it’s the last day of Brad’s 7 Day Raw Challenge! It’s always a bittersweet moment as I realize it’s once again time to say my temporary goodbyes to the raw challenge family til next month while sighing relief that I don’t have to worry about creating posts each night. I love it but it takes some serious time when doing it every night. And yet I love it… :)

So here’s to Day 7 and to another successful end to Brad’s 7 Day Raw Challenge.

Breakfast:

Grapefruit! I adore grapefruit. I love the contrast between sweet and tart and bitter. I always add a drizzle of raw honey and a sprinkle of grounded flax for a boost of nutty sweetness. 


Lunch:

Kobi Kenzo, as part of her challenge, just posted a recipe contest. For that, I created this delicious Blue Pineapple Basil Smoothie. It’s definitely sweet, a tad tart, and full of earthy herbal goodness. If you love basil, you love this smoothie!

Blue Pineapple Basil Milkshake

By Beth Mickens
Makes 16 ounces 


  • 1 cup of pineapple. frozen
  • ½ cup blueberries, frozen
  • ½ banana, frozen
  • 2 handfuls of kale (about 2 large stalks, stems removed)
  • ¼ lime or lemon, juiced
  • 2 shakes of cinnamon
  • 1 cup almond milk, plus more for desired consistency
  • Aloe and turmeric (optional)
  1. Blend and Go baby!
Dinner:

For dinner, making regular mashed potatoes had me craving for a sweet potato with sour cream and onions…so that’s what I made!

The sweet potato noodles were mildly sweet and super crunchy covered in a thick, light, creamy cooling garlic-cilantro sour cream. The green onions topped the dish off perfectly adding an extra boost of bright flavor to this refreshing, mild dish.

Sweet Potato Noodles with Garlic-Cilantro Sour Cream and Green Onions

By Beth Mickens
Sour Cream adapted from the Rawtarian 
Serves 1 


Sweet Potato Noodles:

  • 1 large, extra long sweet potato, peeled ( ended up with about 2 cups)

  1. Use a spiralizer according to the instructions or if you don’t have one, use a regular peeler to  peel the sweet potato into long thin strips. Then, using a sharp knife, slice the thick strips into long thin noodle shaped strips.
  2. Place into a large bowl and set aside.

Garlic-Cilantro Sour Cream:

  • ¼ cup cashews, soaked
  • 2 Tbsp of water
  • 1 Tbsp of lemon juice
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 packed Tbsp of cilantro
  • 1/8-1/4 teaspoon of garlic, mashed

  1. In a high-speed blender or bullet, blend until well blended, thick and creamy.
  2. Sliced green onions, to garnish

To assemble:

  1. In a medium bowl gently toss the noodles and the sour cream together using your hands or a fork.
  2. Place into serving bowl and garnish with green onions.
  3. You can add any other veggies if you prefer. I think some tomatoes may work!

I nibbled on more raw chocolate as I continue to attempt to perfect the raw chocolate recipe. Hopefully I’ll have it by next month! Instead of a hard chocolate that chewed but never melted in your month, I ended up with a chewy chocolate that reminded me of extra firm fudge. We’re getting there!  I think nut butter is a necessity at this point :)

Well there you have it rawkstars! Another challenge completed. I hope some of you join me next month!

Until then, rawk on!

* Beth *

No comments:

Post a Comment