Saturday, August 24, 2013

B7DRC - August Edition: Cool down with this vibrant, bright Kendall Fire smoothie


It’s Day 5 and sadly my last day of being completely raw. I hate to break a challenge but unfortunately, I sort of had no choice. This stupid cold forced me to reschedule my cooking class from last Saturday to this Saturday. While I am very excited for this class, I’m also sad to have to end this challenge so soon. The good part is, the next challenge is only 4 weeks away. Yeah!

Yesterday evening I got into a bit of a “cooking” frenzy and trust me when I say my kitchen mess could have spoken for itself. It was insane! The good part is, I came out with some pretty yummy eats that I’m looking forward to sharing with you today.

Early Morning:

I went straight for the green tea. Not only was I oddly exhausted but my throat was a bit dry and sore from sleeping. I figured a warm green tea with a pinch of honey was exactly what I needed. Thankfully, it worked.

Breakfast:

Being that it’s Friday, we’re running pretty low on produce. Besides a few herbs, a peach and maybe some leftover root veggies, my fridge has been emptied of all fresh fruits and veggies. So instead of trying to stretch out a peach or risk making the mess that comes with eating a grapefruit, I decided to make a smoothie instead. This recipe comes from a little organic café that just opened in my new home’s “downtown” called Hidden Julles. They sell several different kinds of smoothies, but this one in particular caught my attention NOT by its ingredients but by its name, Kendall Fire. 

Inside is a beautiful blend of peaches, bananas, strawberries and fresh grapefruit juice that results in a vibrant, bright red orange smoothie that is deliciously tart and sweet. It had become a favorite of both me and my husband’s. So much so that I’m afraid to add greens to it in fear it may change the flavor!

Kendall Fire
Recipe from Hidden Julles Café
Makes 16 ounces

  • ½ grapefruit, well peeled of all white, seeds removed
  • 1 small peach
  • 1 small banana
  • ½ cup strawberries
  • Splash of water
    1. Blend and sip and seriously, enjoy!
Lunch:

I saw a salad on Cleanse America’s FB page yesterday afternoon that looked both beautiful and tasty. I figured since it was after all, leftover Friday and since I haven’t had a salad all week, that Friday would be the perfect day to enjoy a salad for lunch. The picture didn’t mention a dressing so I pulled up a simple sweet onion dressing to go along with it. It was a perfect combination.


Taste the Rainbow Salad
  • 2 cups of leafy greens, chopped
  • ¼ cup corn off the cob
  • ¼ cup shredded carrots
  • ¼ cup shredded beets
  • ½ avocado, diced
  • 2 Tbsp raisins
  • 1 Tbsp hemp seeds
  • Sweet Onion Dressing
    • ¼ cup cucumber, peeled and roughly chopped
    • ¼ cup sweet white onion
    • 1 ½ Tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
    • 2-3 dates
    • Pinch of salt and pepper
  1. Add all the salad ingredients into a bowl and arrange as desired.
  2. In a high speed blender, add the dressing ingredients and blend until smooth.
  3. Serve the salad with the dressing on the side.
Snack/Dinner:

We all love hummus right? I mean, I’m addicted to it ALMOST as much as I am to peanut butter. Everything between the texture to the flavor to the versatility puts hummus on the top of my must-make list. It’s practically a staple in my home…except during the raw challenges. 

For some reason I just can NOT find a good raw food recipe for hummus that not only is similar in both taste and texture, but also doesn’t contain a butt load of fats. I’ve tried zucchini hummus, cucumber hummus and now I’m on to sunflower hummus. This one, I know, is loaded with healthy fats, but it’s also the closest I have gotten so far to the chickpea version. The texture is thick and slightly gritty and the taste, just like hummus. I’m actually pretty satisfied with this version of raw hummus and I definitely plan on making it again..at least until I find an even better recipe ;)

Sunflower Seed Hummus
Recipe by Beth Mickens
 Makes around 1/2 cup

  • ¼ cup sunflower seeds, soaked for an hour or two then drained
  • 1 Tbsp raw tahini
  • ½ clove garlic
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • Water as needed for consistency
  • 2 leaves of fresh basil (optional)
  • Salt to taste
  1. In a small bullet-style blender, add the drained sunflower seeds, tahini, garlic, lemon and about ½ Tbsp of water to start. Blend until smooth adding water as needed. You’re looking for a thick, slightly chunky dip…nothing too smooth so add water sparingly.
  2. Serve with raw veggies or raw chips.
Dinner:

I didn't eat my snack til real late so no dinner for me. I did sip on my husbands Kendall Fire as I sat and watched them down burgers at Hidden Julles. :) Gotta love those two, my daughter and hubby. They always keep me entertained.

Well, enjoy your Friday peeps! Super Foods Cooking class review coming tomorrow!!

*Beth*

No comments:

Post a Comment