Monday, August 19, 2013

Avocado Chocolate Pudding

Avocado Chocolate Pudding

Does anyone else shop at Whole Foods on Fridays just because they have a special sale on a produce item each Friday?  I purchase all of my produce from Whole Foods and local farmers markets so I am always a sucker for a deal!  This past Friday Whole Foods had a special sale on Hass Avocados making them 5 for $5.  Of course I bought 5 and decided to make one of my favorite desserts – Avocado Chocolate Pudding! 
I have had this dessert at a restaurant specializing in vegan options, and I have heard of others making this treat as well.  I have tried a few varieties of creating this dessert but the recipe below is my favorite way to make this decadent pudding.   

Ingredients
2 avocados
2 tablespoons coconut oil
3 dates
¾ - 1 ½ cup hemp milk (or milk of choice)
½ cup cacao powder
Optional:  dash of vanilla, extra dates, fruit (topping)

Add all ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth for 3-5 minutes adding additional milk ( if needed).  The pudding mixture will thicken once upon chill, therefore, it is recommended to keep extra milk handy while blending.  Place pudding in the refrigerator to chill until serving. 



You can use any type of Cacao Powder that you find but I prefer this cacao with maca from TerrAmazon.  Maca is a well-known super food in South America used for both food and medicine. Incan warriors and today's athletes use maca to help enhance strength and endurance.  I don't know about you but I love sneaking in super foods into my desserts!



You can use any kind of milk to create this pudding but I recommend hemp milk for the extra creamy texture, and slight nutty taste.  Living Harvest tempt is my brand of choice when purchasing hemp milk.  You can also opt to create your own milk and make a fully raw version of this recipe.  I also recommend hemp milk as it contains Omega-6 and Omega-3 essential fatty acids in a healthy three-to-one ratio. 



Since I only used 2 avocados the rest of the 5 went to making homemade guacamole and smoothies.  I love avocado!  


No comments:

Post a Comment