Friday, February 28, 2014

B7DRC February 2014 - Day 4: Quick, raw eats for when life happens.



We’re halfway through Brad’s 7 Day Raw Challenge and I’m feeling great so far sans the mild, sore throat. I can’t determine if it’s the dry air in our home, the cold weather (right after warm weather) or if I got a small bit of my daughter’s head cold. Either way, I’m working on, once again, healing it with warm tea and “flu shots”. I’ve noticed that for the past few challenges I have had to deal with a sore throat. I wonder if maybe it’s a detox symptom? Hmm… 

As you read through today’s eats you may notice that my menu seems abnormal. No juice. No smoothie. Two salads. I know. It’s weird for me too, but sometimes life just gets in the way of your plans and instead of stopping everything you’re doing to scream, cry and mope, just ride along. You never know what you may discover or learn! Life is, after all, a journey.

So here is Day 4’s eats.

Breakfast


I was in a rush this morning to get out of the house so all my planned juices and smoothies were out the door. Instead I grabbed a classic fave: banana with raw (cashew, almond and walnut) nut butter, raw honey, cacao nibs, and coconut. The perfect breakfast: carbs, protein, quick, easy and fulfilling.

Lunch



Once I finally got home I was getting quite hungry, but was once again, in a rush to make my food so I could get to work. I grabbed some greens, added some cukes, tomatoes, green onions, avocado, and sunflower seeds and whipped up a quick salad which I drizzled with some cold pressed grapeseed oil with garlic, lemon, salt and pepper for a quick dressing. Yumm!

Dinner



Another quick one! I made a quick massaged kale salad which I massaged with grapeseed oil, raw garlic, lemon and salt! I mixed in some shredded carrots and green onions for added goodness.

Dessert



I have been craving for something caramely and wanted my next treat to include raw caramel. Sounds yummy doesn’t it!? I saw a recipe for chocolate caramel cookies and was all prepped to make them…until I found these. Raw caramel chocolates. 

Yes they are just as amazing as they look and sound. What makes these different from any other raw chocolate is the texture of the chocolate itself. Instead of being that hard chocolate that cracks when you bite it and melts instantly the moment it hits your lips, this chocolate is fudgy and chewy. Whether or not Emily, the author of this recipe, intended for the chocolate to be chewy is beyond my knowing. I may have easily messed up the recipe somewhere along the way and created a whole new chocolate. Either way, I love it!! The results are a chewy tootsie-like chocolate with a creamy caramel center. The pecan adds a little nuttiness and crunch which complements the chocolate and caramel very well. The only issue I have is this: I. CAN’T. STOP. EATING. THEM. AAAH!

By Emily from This Rawesome Vegan Life
Makes 12 Mini Cups


 
 Prepare mini-muffin cups by lining them mini cupcake liners.

Melted Chocolate
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil or cacao butter, melted (I used a mix of both)
  • ½ cup coconut nectar or date paste (I used raw honey and maple syrup)
  • ¾ cup cacao powder

  1. In a double boiler, melt coconut oil and/or cacao butter.
  2. Remove from the double boiler and add sweetener; mix til well combined.
  3. Sift in the cacao powder and mix well.
  4. Add 1 ½ heaping tsp to the bottom of the liners and push some of the chocolate halfway up the liners in order to coat.
  5. Set in the freezer to set.


  • ¼ cup dates
  • 2 Tbsp of melted coconut oil
  • ¼ - ½ cup of warm water
  • Pinch of sea salt

  1. In a small blender, blend the ingredients together until a thick creamy caramel has been created. I only used ¼ cup of water for a thick caramel but use as much as you need to achieve the consistency you want.
  2. Remove the pan out of the freezer.
  3. Add about 1 tbsp of caramel. Smooth out with your finger.
  4. Top the caramel with another heaping teaspoon or so of chocolate to cover the caramel.
  5. Place back in the freezer to set. 
  6. Keep in the freezer until ready to devour!

Day 4 done. Of course, as you may have realized, it’s day 5 because last night I crashed before I even had a chance to write my post for the day. Lesson learned: I need my fruit for lasting energy!

*Beth*

CHALLENGER'S RECIPES

Massaged Kale Salad
By Kristin Lassonde

  •  Chopped Kale
  • Carrots
  • Cabbage
  • Apple Cider Vinegar
  • Tomatoes
  • Onions
    1. Massage kale with apple cider vinegar til soft and wilted. 
    2. Add remaining ingredients and mix til combined.
    3. Enjoy!
 
Green Juice
By Lucia Morrison
 
 
  • 3 large handfuls of kale
  • 3 large handfuls of spinach
  • 1/2 inch cut cored pineapple
  • 8 raspberries
  • 1 clementine
  • 28 blueberries
Banana Nut Butter
By Nick Lassonde
 
 
  1.  Blend 1 tsp nut butter per 1 medium banana
  2. Mix in cinnamon, cocoa, carob or stevia depending on flavor preference. 
OTHERS
  • http://www.choosingraw.com/chocolate-avocado-sauce-and-chocolate-avocado-breakfast-salad/
 

No comments:

Post a Comment