Wednesday, November 20, 2013

B7DRC - November 2013: Day 3: Raw Caprese Tapas



I think Christmas Fever officially hit me this morning. I pulled out the Christmas CDs and I have been belting out songs like no one’s listening...because no one is listening! Don’t want to damage any ears :) 

With the Christmas Fever comes the anxiety. What to buy, what to cook, which cookies to make out of the list of 1,000,000, and worse, what if I gain weight? This time of year can mean overindulgence but proper planning and a routine workout can save you from holiday bloat and the continuous need for a New Year resolution solely focused on weight loss. Keep up with your healthy habits and come January 1st you’ll be glowing with pride knowing you made it past the holiday’s bloat free. As for your resolution, it can finally be one that doesn’t involve fasting or excessive exercise.

Need a healthy quick start? Participate in Brad’s Challenge in December and you’ll be all prepped for healthy eating greatness!

So who’s ready for Day 3? It’s gorgeous outside and I’m feeling energized!

Early Morning + 16 oz water

Yummy a warm lemon tea!!

Juice +16 oz water

Almost forgot to post my juice! Another wonderful recipe by Sunwarrior and another keeper!

Celery Citrus Cooler
by Sunwarrior
Makes 8 oz
  •  2 stalks of celery
  • 1/2 cucumber
  • 1/2 apple
  • 1 large handful of parsley
  • 1/2 lemon, peeled

Breakfast + 16 oz water

I saw this smoothie on Simple Green Smoothie’s site the other day and it immediately made my mouth water. The combination of beets, berries, fruits and almond milk made me think awesome pink milkshake that needed to be made asap. And so I did. I, of course, switched out the non-raw for raw ingredients and added 1 Tbsp of cacao since it tasted a tad too sweet for me. 

Overall delicious. The texture may throw some people off since it is a tad gritty and crunchy due to the pear, beets and berries seeds. I’m okay with texture as long as it tastes fabulous and this one definitely did!

Berry Beet Smoothie
Makes 16 ounces

  • 1 handful of bok choy
  • ½ cup raw almond milk
  • ½ cup water
  • ½ large ripe pear
  • ½ banana
  • ¼ cup frozen berries
  • 1 heaping ¼ cup of raw shredded beets
  • 1 Tbsp of raw almond butter
  • 1 Tbsp of cacao (optional)
Blend, sip and enjoy!

Late Lunch + 16 oz water

This flavorful raw caprese tapas is inspired by Sunwarrior’s Warrior Way Challenge caprese salad as part of this week’s menu. The cheese is made from a blend of soaked sunflower seeds, garlic, lemon juice and salt. I thinly sliced a kohlrabi to serve as my “bread” and topped the cheese off with a simple salsa made with tomatoes, basil, olive oil, salt, pepper and tiny splash of balsamic. I topped each tapa with a sprinkle of green onions for a flavor boost.

The kohlrabi and salsa is both fresh and crisp while the cheese is fragrant, robust and creamy. A wonderful light dinner! Not sure if this can count as a “pauper” dinner do you? I mean light yes, but the dish is rich in flavor!

Raw Caprese Tapas
Adapted from Sunwarrior
Makes 1-2 servings



Raw Sunflower Cheese
  • 1 cup sunflower seeds soaked overnight, rinsed and drained
  • 1 garlic clove, mashed
  • ½ lemon juiced (about 1-2 Tbsp)
  • 1-2 Tbsp of cold-pressed olive oil
  • ½ Tbsp raw honey or agave
  • Salt and pepper to taste
    1. Blend in a high-speed blender til creamy and smooth.
Tomato Basil Salsa
  • 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes (preferably cherry or grape)
  • 2-3 leaves of basil, sliced
  • 1 tsp of cold-pressed olive oil
  • Splash of balsamic
  • Salt and pepper
    1. Toss all of the ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
To assemble:
  • 1 small kohlrabi, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1 green onion, sliced
  1. Spread about 1-2 tsp of cheese onto one slice of kohlrabi.
  2. Top with 1 tbsp of salsa.
  3. Sprinkle with green onions
  4. Serve immediately.
Dessert +16 oz water


I have been waiting 3 days to cut into this dessert! I finally made Healthy. Happy. Life. Blogger Kathy’s Raw Chocolate Almond Butter Cup Pie and am I GLAD I did! As you may know, I’m a nut butter addict. Add chocolate and I am in trouble. BIG trouble. Like a whole jar of Justin’s Chocolate Almond Butter in 3 days trouble. So when I saw this recipe I knew I had to make it. I knew it would be perfection on a platter and mmmm is it! Chocolaty nutty buttery goodness with a blend of sweet and salty that will make any woman swoon. One bite and I literally leaped. It was foodgasmic. 

Here is the recipe. I quartered the recipe to fit into my mini pie pan which also required a few adjustments in order to get the consistency and flavor down for the chocolate layer. I have no doubt that if the recipe is used as is that it will be perfect. I always have to be difficult J Maybe that’s because I know if I make an entire pie of this I would eat the entire pie which is no good for my figure haha!

Now time to go meditate that pie off :)

*Beth*

No comments:

Post a Comment