Umm is anyone else in shock that it’s November? Where did the summer go? I can’t believe we have already reached the second round of the Virtual Vegan Potluck for the year but I am SUPER excited that we did. I LOVE browsing through the blogs discovering new recipes, new flavor combos and oh the food porn pics! This time around we decided to go straight for the best part of every meal: Dessert!
For me, inspiration was seriously lackin’ this go around. Life has been, well, interesting to say the least and I’ve been trying my best to keep up while at the same time enjoying it and appreciating every moment of it. With that I’ve been relying on recipes from some of my favorite bloggers to keep me well fed and satisfied on my journey through 2013. Thank goodness 2014 is just around the corner!
I had originally planned to make a popular Filipino dessert until finding the ingredients I needed became nearly impossible in my current location So I dumped it and thought hard, hard, hard about one of my fave desserts and how I could recreate it and then Isa’s Chocolate Pumpkin Loaf popped into my mind. Mmm I miss those double chocolate pumpkin muffins with chocolate chips in every bite. Ever since my daughter went gluten-free in an attempt to heal her eczema we stopped making them. I miss them and so I asked what could I make to combine similar flavors? Freezer fudge. Chocolate pumpkin fudge. Fail. Okay, pumpkin pie freezer fudge with chocolate in it or on it… somehow. I had no time to contemplate. I only had one day (I’m chronic procrastinator) to get this right so it was all or nothing.
So I whisked and I poured and I topped and I waited impatiently for it to freeze. The next morning I immediately went to the freezer, took one out and took a bite…not too bad. Not fudge AT ALL, more like ice cream. Creamy pumpkin pie ice cream with a nutty, sweet, salty, chocolaty crunch topping. Perfect? Not quite. Good enough? YES!
So here it is. My last minute, not so perfect, but still delicious pumpkin pie ice cream bites. It passed the 6-year-old kid test so heck I figured it must be yummy enough. I hope you think so too. ;)
Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream Bites with
Salted Chocolate Pecan "Crunchies"
- 4 Tbsp of organic pumpkin puree (I used canned)
- 1 Tbsp of tahini
- 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup (depending on how sweet you want it)
- 1-2 Tbsp melted coconut oil (depending on how "watery" your tahini and puree is)
- 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 Tbsp of pecans
- 1 Tbsp of Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
- In a small bowl whisk together the puree, tahini, syrup, vanilla, spice and a pinch of salt. Add enough coconut oil to create a smooth, thick, puree. Set aside.
- In a small food processor, pulse the pecans and chocolate chips together til a course crumble forms. Add a pinch of salt and pumpkin spice and pulse once more to blend. Set aside.
- Line a mini muffin pan with mini muffin liners.
- Add about 1 Tbsp of pumpkin pie mix into the muffin liner then top with about a tsp of chocolate pecan crunchies (or heck mix them in! It's yummy that way too!)
- Repeat with remaining pumpkin batter til all of it is gone.
- Place the pumpkin pie ice cream bites in the freezer and allow to set overnight.
- Prior to devouring, allow to sit for a minute or two to soften.
Ooh now to start browsing and pinning my heart out! Vegan food porn here I come!! Click on the buttons below to browse through other VVP participant's blogs or click on the main button for a list of all the blogs participating!