Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Brad's 7 Day Raw Challenge: January 2014 - Avocado + Cacao Powder? In a Savory Dressing? yes!



Welcome to Day 2 of Brad’s 7 Day Raw Challenge! 

It’s quite a wintry mess outside my window right now and brrrr is it chilly! BUT it hasn’t stopped me from eating 100% raw. Surprisingly, I don’t crave for warming foods too often in the winter. If anything, I crave for cooling, summery eats like berries, corn, zucchini, etc. Weird, I know. I guess I’m just a summer kind of gal :) 

Who's ready for Day 2?

What I Ate: Day 2
Early Morning:


I decided to switch it up this morning and go for a large glass of lemon and orange vitamin water. I’ve noticed by body temp has increased ever since I started working out which means hot, sweaty nights leaving me quite thirsty when I wake up. My 32 ounce jar and glass straw became my drinking vessel for the day. I refilled it several times throughout the day to keep my body hydrated and my digestive system flowing. It’s amazing what water can do. The lemon and orange slices add a yummy zesty twist!

*Hmm I think this week is going to be all about killing the mid-winter blues with summery eats. Doesn't this look summery and beachy? I think so!*
Juice:

Today’s juice was inspired by the leftover pineapple I had in my fridge. I needed to use it ASAP and thought what better way than to juice it. A little flavor combining with a few other veggies and fruit and bam a light, refreshing sweet juice that was a little too easy to drink.

Pineapple Pear Juice
By Beth Mickens
Makes 16 ounces 


  • ¼ pineapple
  • 1 pear
  •  ½ large seedless cucumber
  • 1/2 lime, peeled
    1. Juice, strain and enjoy!

Smoothie:

Another decadent guiltless dessert smoothie by Simple GreenSmoothie! This one was actually not too sweet which was perfect after my too sweet juice. Instead it was light, creamy and super satisfying. Oh, and this time I added muh greens :)

Peach Cobbler
Makes 16 ounces

  • 1 cup spinach
  • 1 cup peaches, frozen
  • ½ apple
  • ½ banana
  • 1 cup raw nut milk
  1. Blend and enjoy!

Lunch:


Today’s lunch is another recipe from Brad’s new book, Raw Made Easy, called the Mayan Salad. This salad has become a favorite of mine, even though I never have the bok choy that it calls for. I think what I love most about the recipe is the dressing. While it doesn’t look very appetizing…actually my husband said it looked like minced meat in the fridge… the dressing is actually very delish. It’s rich, creamy and bursting with flavors of lime, garlic and cacao…yes, I said cacao! It’s almost like guacamole with a twist. So good!
Dinner:


I’m testing out monomeals again, specifically for dinner, in hopes I find something that works with my digestive system after my late workout. So far I rather not eat and drink a kombucha which is not good.

Today’s post workout monomeal was a bowl of sweet, juicy sliced oranges!So far so good :)

That's it! That was easy :P Eating raw doesn’t have to be complicated or time consuming. As long as you have a stocked fridge and pantry, you will always be able to eat 100% raw! 

Participant Recipes

Zucchini Noodles
By Chelsea Connolly

Photo by Chelsea Connolly

  • Spiralized Zucchini Noodles
  • Tomato, diced
  • Fresh Basil
  • Garlic
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • TONS of nutritional yeast
    1. Toss together and enjoy! Doesn't this look amazing!?

A Glass of Green Awesomeness
By Lucia Morrison

Photo by Lucia Morrison

  • 1 cup of water
  • 1 large handful of kale
  • 1 large handful of spinach
  • 1/4 cup pineapple
  • 1/4 cup raspberries
  • One clementine, peeled
    1. Blend and enjoy!! 
Arugula Green Smoothie
By Ang Roberts

  • 1 1/2 cup coconut water
  • 1 cup arugula
  • 1 cup spinach
  • 1 fresh or frozen banana
  • 1/2 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
  • 1 Tbsp of honey
    1. Blend and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment