Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Brad's 7 Day Raw Challenge: January 2014 - Desserts for breakfast!? You bet!



Hello Day 3 and Hello Hump Day! It was another day at home thanks to the wintery mess, and I have come to learn that when I’m home, I drink more water. Maybe it’s because the water filter is right across the counter from where I sit to work as opposed to all the way down the hall and to the right? Or maybe it’s because I move around more at home? Not sure what it is but I hope I can continue this habit when I work at the office tomorrow. All this lovely water has me feeling hydrated and energized and it kills the urge to stress eat. Instead I stress sip :)
 
All this water is also helping my body fight this disgusting bug that all of sudden started creeping up on me a few hours ago. I went from feeling great and ready to work out, to having a dry itchy sore throat and feeling sluggish and drained. As always, this calls for a yummy “flu shot”, a good sweat and tons of rest! 

Unfortunately, this bug has killed my appetite which of course leads to less food pics and less recipes. :( Oh the problems of a food blogger! 

Oh well. Ready to see what I ate on Day 3?

Early Morning:

I haven’t been sleeping much lately (hmm wonder why I’m sick!) so a warm green tea with lemon and honey was calling my name. It did the trick :)
 
Juice:

Yesterday while I was working, I listened to numerous videos by FullyRaw Kristina. She’s one of my favorite raw food gurus and I love everything about her. Her personality is catchy, she’s full of valuable knowledge, and oh my, the recipes she creates are amazing! Low fat, full of nutrition, satisfying and super tasty! A good example? This ridiculously creamy, sweet dreamsicle juice! A healthy, nutritious energy filled juice that tastes like an orange creamsicle ice cream pop! Don’t believe me? Try it for yourself! Drool!

Here’s what I used!

Makes 16 ounces



  • 1 apple
  • 1 large, juicy orange, peeled
  • 1 large juicing carrot or 2 medium carrots
  • Coconut water, to fill (about ½ cup)
  • ¼ tsp of vanilla or ¼ vanilla bean
Depending on the type of juicer you have, you may be able to use the method Kristina uses (link in name) or follow my steps.
  1. Juice the apple, carrot and orange into a 16 ounce glass jar. It should be over ¾ full.
  2. Fill with coconut water til the glass is full.
  3. Add vanilla and stir.
Serve! Drink! Enjoy!

Breakfast:

Mmmmm who knew you could have a glass full of Chocolate Dipped Strawberries!? Sweet, juicy tart strawberry flavor mixed with rich, creamy chocolate. Holy yumm! Yep, it’s another amazing dessert smoothie by the fabulous gals over at Simple Green Smoothies. It’s a must try!!

Clearly it’s a dessert kind of day… :P

Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Smoothie
Makes 16 ounces


  • 1 cup kale
  • 1 cup homemade almond milk
  • 1 cup strawberries
  • 1 banana
  • 1 tbsp cacao powder

    1. Blend and enjoy garnished with some crunchy cacao nibs! I bet this would taste great with mint too

Lunch/Dinner:


As I stated in my intro, I lost my appetite mid-afternoon when I started feeling funky. I nibbled on leftover spicy kale chips but still, no appetite. Finally, I forced myself to eat something for dinner. A massaged kale salad sounded good so I kept it simple. 

Kale, grated garlic, lemon juice, coconut oil and salt massaged til wilted. Then I topped it off with avocado, some mushrooms and green onions. Simple, delish and fulfilling. It did make me feel a bit better. Clearly I needed my greens :)

And Day 3 was done.

Let’s pray tomorrow is better.

*Beth*

Participant Recipes

Strawberry Cream Smoothie
By Ang Roberts


  • 1/2 avocado
  • 1 cup of strawberries
  • 1 1/2 cups of spinach
  • 1 tbsp hemp seeds
  • 1 cup almond milk
    1. Blend and go!!
 Rawkin Red Bell Pepper Soup
By Lucia Morrison
From Brad's Raw Made Easy
  • 2 large red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and chopped
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 medium avocado
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup cashew pieces to top
    1. Blend the bell peppers, carrots, avocado, salt, water and lemon juice into a smooth puree.
    2. Pour into a bowl and top with cashew pieces before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment