Tuesday, October 22, 2013

B7DRC - October Edition: Day 2, GaGa over Betty Rawker's Goo Goo Clusters!



It’s Day 2 and I have to say I am quite proud of myself. Bad produce destroyed a planned dish and instead of having a mini-attack, which normally happens, I said whatever and created something else. 

Yes, I REALLY wanted to create a warming, spiced Moroccan “cous-cous” but I guess I can hold off til next time. :)

Early Morning:

Instead of a warm lemon tea, I decided to go for a warm Detox tea to assist my raw food cleanse.

Breakfast:

Another Simple Green Smoothie! This one was hideous to look at, but too easy to sip! And I LOVE the name hehe. 

Razzy  Granny
by Simple Green Smoothies
Makes 16 ounces 
 

  • ¾ cup spinach
  • ¾ cup kale
  • 1 cups coconut water
  • ½ cups raspberries, frozen
  • 1 small granny smith apple
  • ½ large banana*
    1. Blend and enjoy! Just don’t look at it!

Snack:

Kombucha cravings continue…this time a Harvest Spice blend. Delish! MTO I love you!

Lunch:

Sooo I was intending to make the aforementioned Moroccan Dish when I discovered my parsnip from which I was going to make raw rice with, was woody and bitter! Eck! So what to do what to do. My produce supply was already looking low (and it’s already Tuesday!) and then I noticed a jar of Raw Kimchi that I haven’t touched in a while just sitting there fermenting and growing better and better in flavor. The only thing that came to mind was Bibimbap salad.

I didn’t have all the “right” fixings but heck this was MY dish and I figured I could add whatever I want to MY bibimbap, accurate or not to the original recipe….if there honestly is one.

Sitting on top of a bed of mixed greens in a beautiful circle was carrots, marinated cukes, marinated mushrooms, raw kimchi, tomatoes (that’s right!),  and avocado topped with a sprinkling of sesame seeds. Simple and ever so tasty. No dressing was needed as the kimchi had enough flavor on its own. I did drizzle the remaining mushroom marinade on top before serving. I guess you can call that a dressing.

The good thing about this salad is that you can add and remove any of the ingredients to make your own bowl. You seriously can NOT go wrong!

Raw Bibimbap-style Salad Bowl
By Beth Mickens


  • 2  cups of mixed greens
  • ½ small cucumber, peeled and sliced thinly
  • 1 tbsp of raw apple cider vinegar
  • Salt to taste
  • 2 mushroom, sliced
  • 1 Tbsp of tamari or namu shoya
  • 1 tsp of raw honey
  • Squeeze of lemon juice
  • Pinch of grated garlic
  • 2 small carrots, grated
  • 4 cherry tomatoes
  • 1/3 avocado, sliced
  • Raw sesame seeds to garnish
  • Raw Kimchi (mine is locally made)

  1. To start, marinade your cucumbers and mushrooms.
  2. For the cucumbers, pour into a small bowl the ACV and a pinch of salt. Toss the cucumbers into the dressing and set aside.
  3. For the mushrooms, whisk together the tamari, honey, garlic and lemon juice. Toss the mushrooms in the marinade and set aside.
  4. To prepare your bowl, first add the mixed greens.
  5. Next add the carrots, marinated cucumbers, marinated mushrooms, tomatoes, and raw kimchi into a circle in your bowl.
  6. In the middle add your avocado.
  7. Garnish with sesame seeds.
  8. Before serving drizzle with remaining mushroom marinade.

DEVOUR!

Snack/Dinner:

Not sure why, but my metabolism takes a nasty dip in the evening time….maybe it’s all the snacking I do when I prep dinner and the next day’s lunch that makes me not hungry by evening time.. That could be a problem :P

While I didn’t make a meal I did make this week’s dessert! Yummy, guiltless, raw Goo Goo Clusters by the fabulous Betty Rawker! I followed the recipe as is except for a few modifications which I will describe below. 

Looks like a bit of walnut skin got into my cluster!

These babies are fabulous! Gooey, crunchy, and creamy all at once! Heaven! The coconut layer alone is mouthwatering and very difficult NOT to eat. Thankfully the recipe makes extras.  :)

Here is the original recipe.

NOTES:

  1. I did use half the recipe which made 9 mini cups.
  2. For the date caramel, because I did not have Medjool dates, I used Deglet Noor. I ended up using 12 dates chopped just so it would blend, along with 1 ½ coconut oil, 1 tbsp of maple syrup, a pinch of salt and ½ tsp of vanilla. I needed a pinch of water to get it to blend too. I suggest soaking Deglet Noor dates next time and using 2-3x the amount of suggested Medjool dates. I actually liked the thick, gooey caramel but it was pretty densely sweet.
  3. For mini cups use in order, 1 tsp of chocolate, a heaping ½ tsp of coconut, 1 tsp of caramel, 1 walnut and 1 ½ - 2 tsp of chocolate to coat.

At THAT my friends was Day 2!

Now go make those delicious Goo Goo Clusters!!

 *Beth*



No comments:

Post a Comment