Thursday, October 24, 2013

B7DRC - October Edition: Day 4 - Eating Simply

Day 4 means we are over the halfway hump of this challenge! Yeah! I’m so happy because that means I can finally hit up the farmer’s market and grocery store because I am running low on practically everything! Thank goodness tomorrow is leftover Friday! Should be interesting… o_0

Early Morning:

Lemon Tea with a pinch of raw honey. Delish!

Breakfast:

A super energizing Simple Green Smoothie loaded with antioxidants and natural energy!

U-Pick Me Up
By Simple Green Smoothies
Makes 16 ounces

  • 1 cup spinach
  • 1 cup romaine
  • ½ cup raspberries, frozen
  • ½ cup blueberries, frozen
  • 1 cup green tea, cold
  • ½ ripe pear*
    1. Blend and go!
**Added the pear since my daughter didn’t finish it this morning. Mommy problems :)

Lunch:

Not sure if the smoothies are just not filling or what but I’ve been getting hungry early around 10:30am or so, so an early lunch it has been!

This lunch was inspired by what was left in my fridge: oranges, beets, green onions and avocado. The combination, to me anyways, sounded perfect but what to dress it with was a whole different issue. I wanted a sweet onion dressing but I had no sweet onion and well, red onions and green onions don’t work. So I searched through my semi-empty fridge and found a quarter of a cuke and tons of mint…cucumber mint dressing? Sure. Why not.

I was right about the combination of veggies. Crunchy, creamy, juicy, sweet, and earthy with a refreshing taste thanks to the minty sweet dressing; a beautiful combination of winter produce played as a light, summery salad. Loved! 

Vibrant Winter Salad with Cucumber Mint Dressing
By Beth Mickens
  • 2-3 cups mixed greens
  • 1 small orange, peeled and chopped
  • 1 small beet, peeled and grated
  • ½ avocado
  • ½ green onion, sliced
  • ¼ cucumber, peeled and chopped
  • Handful of mint
  • 1 tbsp hemp seeds
  • ½ lemon, juiced
  • 1 tsp raw honey or maple syrup
  • Salt
  • Sprouted pumpkin seeds
    1. To prepare the dressing, into a small, personal blender add the cuke, mint, hemp, lemon, honey and salt and blend on high till well blended.
    2. If needed, add some water till well blended and a thick, pourable consistency has been reached.
    3. For the Salad, layer in a bowl or on a plate the greens, beets, oranges, avocado and green onion.
    4. Dress with cucumber mint dressing and top with sprouted pumpkin seeds before serving.
Snack:

My new sweet tooth addiction is not chocolate, but dates and nut butter! It’s definitely natures candy! I needed to use up some celery in my fridge so I thought the old, childhood classic of celery and nut butter would be perfect as a snack! But what about the ants for my log? Why not little caterpillars instead?

The idea sounds cute, but as you look at the pic you may agree with my husband who said after he glanced at my snack, “that looks like sh*t on a log”. Way to ruin it! Haha!

Caterpillars on a Log
  • Celery
  • Raw nut butter
  • Dates, split in half
    1. I think you know what to do…right?
Dinner:

I snacked on veggie sticks with leftover sunflower queso dip, dates and walnut pecan butter and had another goo goo cluster for dessert. Yumm!

Day 4 simple. easy. satisfied.

*Beth*

No comments:

Post a Comment