Sunday, October 27, 2013

B7DRC - Day 6 and 7: Less meals but better creations



I love the weekends, but it can actually be quite tough staying 100% raw when your family is not. It’s all about prep, prep, prep! This weekend was no exception but what I love most is the support I have at home. 
 My husband respects my raw weeks (his words, not mine :D) and my daughter is always intrigued, asking questions, tasting my meals, etc. All the love and support makes it a lot easier. 

The weekends are always short on meals and recipes. I guess waking up late plus being busy equals little time to eat. The good thing is, I enjoyed time with my family and well, that’s all that matters, right?

SATURDAY

Early Morning:

Lemon Tea! Mmmm!

Breakfast:

I was still running low on goodies even though I had just returned from the farmer’s market. This time of year fruits are dwindling, except for apples, and the hearty veggies are taking over like weeds. Eventually breakfast is going to be greens instead of fruit! Not that that’s a bad thing…

I had a craving for something fulfilling considering it was almost lunch and quickly remembered the recipe I saw yesterday from Jackie of Vegan Yack Attack. Chopped apples drizzled with a sweet peanut butter sauce. Mmm sounded perfect!

I went to work whisking up my sauce, chopped some leftover apples from our trip to the orchard and in less than 10 minutes I had a beautiful bowl of sweet, juicy, delicious apples smothered in a creamy nutty sauce topped with coconut and crunchy cacao nibs. It was so good it felt guilty. Nutritiously guilty!

Breakfast Apple Sundae
Adapted from Jackie of Vegan Yack Attack


  • 3 small apples
  • 2 tbsp of raw nut butter
  • 2 tbsp of raw almond milk
  • ½ tbsp of maple syrup
  • ¼ tsp of vanilla
  • Shredded coconut
  • Cacao nibs

  1. Chop and core apples into bite size pieces and add into a bowl.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the almond butter, almond milk, maple syrup and vanilla til smooth. Add more almond milk as needed until desired consistency has been reached.
  3. Pour sauce over apples.
  4. Top with coconut and cacao nibs before serving.

Lunch/Dinner:

I may not have found fruit at the farmer’s market but I did happen to grab a bag of my favorite dehydrated veggie chips! These were so good and crunchy that I completed the bag in one sitting and well, what was a snack, became dinner. My favorite are the green beans. I really need to figure out how to make those!


SUNDAY:

Breakfast:

I decided to ditch the “green” smoothies and go for an all fruit one. It sounded good and yumm was it! This smoothie reminds me of an old favorite, the Orange Julius, a creamy orange drink I used to buy every time I went to the mall. It’s loaded with crap but it was good. Now I can make my own healthy version sans the crap!

Mango Orange Julius
By Beth Mickens


  • 1 large banana
  • 1 orange, peeled
  • ½ heaping cup of mango, frozen
  • 1 cup raw almond milk

    1. Blend, sip and thank me later ;)

Lunch:

My family finally convinced me to let them go to a Mexican self-serve place for lunch as long as I got enjoy their guac with a fork, hehe. I’m a guacamole addict and have NO problem downing it with fork and spoon only.

Dinner:

While making dinner I sipped on a Blueberry Kombucha by MTO. After living a week without kale I was more than happy to make a kale salad for dinner. With fall out and winter in, or so it seems, a fall kale salad sounded like the perfect combo, especially when drizzled with a warming curry dressing. Even my husband and daughter liked it. Score!

Curried Fall Kale Salad
By Beth Mickens


  • 2 cups chopped kale
  • Hemp oil
  • Lemon , juiced
  • Salt
  • ½ small apple, cut into matchsticks or chopped
  • 1 carrot, sliced into thin coins or matchsticks
  • ½ small beet, shredded
  • ½ green onion, sliced
  • 1 tbsp sprouted pumpkin seeds
  • 2 Tbsp hemp seeds
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • ½ - 1 tsp of curry powder
  • Pinch of mashed garlic (about 1/8 tsp)
  • 1/8 – ¼ tsp of grated ginger
  • 1/8 tsp of fresh turmeric (optional)
  • 1 tsp raw honey
  • 2-3 tbsp of water
  • Salt

  1. Wash, de-stem and chop kale into bite size strips or pieces and place into a bowl.
  2. Add some hemp oil, lemon juice and salt (no need for measurements) and massage with hands until slightly wilted.
  3. Set aside.
  4. In a small personal blender add the hemp seeds, lemon juice, curry powder, garlic, ginger, turmeric, honey, 2 tbsp of water and salt. Blend until smooth, adding water as needed until desired consistency has been reached.
  5. Set aside.
  6. To assemble, layer on a plate the kale, apples, carrots, beets, green onions and pumpkin seeds in any order you desire. You can even mix it up in a bowl if you wish.
  7. Drizzle or mix with curry dressing before serving.

The weekend is over and so is the challenge! Doesn’t sound so hard right!? So who’s going to join me next month? Because you should :)

*Beth*

No comments:

Post a Comment